iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026 on craigslist

Started by JaxSawyer, January 19, 2009, 01:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaxSawyer

I've got a Poulan Pro 4218 right now and the last couple of times I've used to for firewood it's given me some trouble. I'm looking for a good all-around saw. Most of what I'll be doing is light bucking and limbing but I can see some felling in my future. Around here that means pine (for the most part) and 20-30" at the base.

I was looking at the Husky 445 at Lowe's. It comes with a 18" bar but the head is supposed to support up to 20. I'm a little leery of the "big box" saws even though it's a Husky.

Last night I found a Stihl 026 locally with a 20" bar for $225. The ad reads

Excellent condition, both mechanical and appearance. 20" bar (most of paint still on bar), chain like new, not used much.

I realize the 026 is now the 260 but wasn't sure if I need to be aware of anything to look at. I've read about some air filter problems but not much else. Oh, and I guess some people don't like the anti-vibe on this model. I've used a newer 260 for felling and it's a nice saw.

Just wondering if I'd do good at this price (assuming it really is in excellent condition) or if I should keep looking. There's a Stihl dealer on my way to work so that would make it easy if I need it worked on.

Tnx!

Cut4fun

I have seen brand new looking used 026's sale for $100 and up. $225 would be fair.
I would pay that before buying a 455 if the 026 checks out.

beenthere

Might just check in on that Stihl dealer and see if he has some friendly advice. Getting him on board early, might help you make the decision on the 026. It is what I'd do, anyway.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawmilllawyer

Good advice so far. I'd talk to the dealer find out what to look for and then high tail down to the saw and check it out. Then maybe go home with another saw.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Stephen_Wiley

I have an 026, use it commercially and love it.

However, I must add caution in that Stihl products are made in at least five countries....all though the same model they do not all perform the same.

Another 026 owned by friend, has never performed the same as mine.

If the seller is local maybe meet him at the local Stihl dealer and have a technician test the saw.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

JaxSawyer

Thanks guys. I called my dealer and he said more like $175-200 if it's really good condition based on the age of the saw.

I thought about seeing if the seller would take it in with me but the dealer just told me to check the piston for scoring and to give a good look at the cylinder as I cycle it. I figure I can take it apart easily enough and check the needle bearing, rim sprocket, etc for wear to see if it's got more use than advertised.

I'll probably offer $200 if it's as advertised and if he won't take it I'll wait for another saw. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rocky_J

Most of my saws get a new sprocket every 3-4 chains and a new bar every year or two depending on use. Trying to estimate the running hours on an old saw by looking at the bar is like trying to estimate the mileage on an old car by looking at the tires.

JaxSawyer

I don't plan on basing it on the bar, and I realize that internals get changed out. But the saw's advertised as excellent condition and "not used much". I figure that should be somewhat easy to tell if I take it apart.

Polly

if your local dealer is a good tech get them to tune the saw up for you i understand their is some things they can do to improve its performance mine is several years old and i could not believe how mutch better it ran when he got done with it      no i dont know what he done :) :) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!