iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

346xp questions

Started by WOJO, January 13, 2009, 02:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WOJO

I have a 372xp and I just bought a new 390xp (didnt even puy fuel in the 390 yet). I'm looking at buying a new 346xp, I was looking at a couple of them and one has a green gas cap and the other has a grey gas cap. what's up with that?
NE 346XP 18" bar, 372 XP 20" bar, 390 XP 24"bar

TexasTimbers

Nice mix of saws you are accumulating.

Get the one with gray gas cap. The green one is a "green" saw and has a catalytic muffler. Can't breathe as well and has less power.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

barbender

Yep- like TexasTimbers said get the one with the gray cap unless your conscience is heavily burdened by the size of your carbon footprint and other green ideas. The 346xp is a really nice cutting saw, just keep it revved up.
Too many irons in the fire

WOJO

thanks guys, I'll look for te one with the gray cap.

WAP Man

I bought a 346xp  about  7 years ago or so , the exact date I don't remember . I had previously owned a 254 which was a great saw.
I'ne used the 346xp to cut aboout 600-  800 christmas trees a year and chunk about 10 coreds of hardwood a year . The performance of the saw is great . No issues to report . She is fast ..........
I think you'll love it

SawTroll

Quote from: WOJO on January 15, 2009, 10:53:30 AM
thanks guys, I'll look for te one with the gray cap.

Just make sure it is a NE 50cc one.
Information collector.

chevytaHOE5674

If buying new make sure you get a 346 NE, as mentioned. It should have a gray/silver clutch cover on it. Like stated its 50cc instead of 46cc's.

SwedeJohn

:)The NE has a decompvalve, fuelpump and silver colored clutch cover.  ;D
Husqvarna 45,,,365 Special,,,NE346XPG,,, 335 Rx.

barbender

What's the difference in performance between the 45cc and 50cc 346's? Do you lose the high rpm performance the original 346 was made for?
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

No in my experience the 346NE is still a screamer at 50cc. Still turns the same high RPM's that made the 346 infamous.

WOJO

do you guys know if the new 346xp has the new E-Tech engine?

Rocky_J

Actually the 50cc version has a rev limited coil and maxes out at about 14,200 rpm. In stock form it has more torque than the original and still revs plenty fast, although my two (non-stock) original versions wind out over 15K rpm.

SawTroll

Quote from: WOJO on January 16, 2009, 04:32:26 PM
do you guys know if the new 346xp has the new E-Tech engine?

Nothing new with E-tech - it just means the saw has a cat muffler.

They are made with and without the E-tech/cat.
Information collector.

WOJO

is there anything done to the engine  besides just the muffler? I was reading somewhere that the non E-Tech revs at 14,700 and the E-Tech ones rev out at 14,100

SawTroll

Quote from: WOJO on January 22, 2009, 09:52:58 AM
is there anything done to the engine  besides just the muffler? I was reading somewhere that the non E-Tech revs at 14,700 and the E-Tech ones rev out at 14,100

Nope., all the 50cc NE ones have a recommended max of 14100, and a limiter at 14200 - the 14700 ones are the old 45cc ones (no limiter).

There has been, and maybe still is, mistakes on some web-sites.
Information collector.

WOJO

Thanks everyone for all the help. The Fed Ex truck came today and had my new 346xp NE with him, it has the gray caps. I'm excited 8), I cant wait for the weather to break so I can try it out.

Dave Shepard

What kind of weather you got out there? I was testing my recently revived 394 today in 12F. I think it would have to have been at least -20 to keep me from enjoying the event. :D 8) Let us know how it runs. Is it getting a WOJO muffler? ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WOJO

LOL, I might order a muffler from Baileys at a later date. The weather here is about 10 deg. and I work from 6:00pm till 6:00am Sun night and finish up Thursday morning. I just bought the 346xp NE with the 18" bar off of ebay and it has not even had gas or oil in it yet. I also bought a 390xp off of ebay that has never seen gas or oil either, so I really can't wait to sink these saws into some wood. Up till now I have only been using my 372xp and I'm really happy with it, with the 20" and 24" bars. I haven't had a chance to use a 346xp or 390xp, but I have used my brothers stihl ms260 and ms660 ( both really nice saws). I would use the 260 if we had a lot of limbing to do  ( my 372xp would get heavy and wear me out after a few hours) and I got th use the 660 on some big stuff, He has a 32" bar on it. So never having run a 346xp or 390xp,  I really dont know what to expect from them. Or if the 390xp is better suited for a 28" or 32" bar.

TexasTimbers

Wojo, was the saw new? I thought it was Husqvarna policy that no more internet sales would be allowed.

John Mc

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 26, 2009, 09:36:50 AM
Wojo, was the saw new? I thought it was Husqvarna policy that no more internet sales would be allowed.

You still see a fair number of Ebay stores selling new Husky saws. I don't know how they get away with it, but they are on there. If you search Ebay under: "Home & Garden > Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living > Outdoor Power Equipment > Chainsaws > Gas" for terms like Husky, Husqvarna, or the model number, you'll find quite a few hits for ebay stores selling new huskys.

{EDIT} Just checked Ebay again, since it's been a few months. The new ones are still there, but there seem to be much fewer dealers than when I looked several months ago.

For new saws, I like my local dealer, even if he does cost a few bucks more.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TexasTimbers

I wasn't considering it. I decided on this last saw to go local only from here on out. Was just wondering what was up with it.

Funny thing is, I have bought a 372XP online, two 395XP's online (one from Bailey's one from Norwalk), and never had a problem with these saws. I decide to go local with the Dolmar and have had more trouble with it than all the online purchases combined - which has been zero.  :-\

Still, I will go local on the next one too, which will be a MS361.  8)

WOJO

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 26, 2009, 09:36:50 AM
it's brand new, never had gas or oil in it.

SawTroll

Quote from: WOJO on January 24, 2009, 05:24:54 PM
Thanks everyone for all the help. The Fed Ex truck came today and had my new 346xp NE with him, it has the gray caps. I'm excited 8), I cant wait for the weather to break so I can try it out.

If the gas cap is gray, it should not be an E-tech/cat saw - and a new muffler is not needed.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!