iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar PS 7900

Started by chipsfly09, February 26, 2009, 08:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipsfly09

I have a PS7900-- approx 5years old-- Would like to avoid overrevving-- Does that saw have a rev limiting coil ?--is there such a thing-  Have not touched carb since new-- runs fine and I usually run oil at 40:1. It just really tachs up compared to my other saws--   Husky 162 and 2100-Kinda scares me-- Looking at a new 5100-- quoted a price of $350 + tax .  That sounds pretty reasonable to me-- Thoughts?     Thanks

Cut4fun

7900 has a rev limited coil at +/- 13,500.

5100 new for $350 is a steal now days. That is the price they went for in 2006.

chipsfly09

Thanks!!-- Both Dolmar dealers in my area are going to other saws-- I sure like the them Dolmars-- I had heard that there was a "bad batch" of them (mine not in that group-I checked the serial #) that was blowing head gaskets- so that sort of doomed them among Stihl and Husky users who had made the change.

ladylake

The only time you over rev the saw is when your tuning it out of the cut, when cutting you should be reving 9 to 10 thousand and a rev limiting coil has no effect whatsoever. Seems like a lot of people think a rev limiting coil is holding thier saw back when cutting which isn't true unless it's highly modded. Far as your 7900 goes Stihl and Husky have a ways to go to catch up with that saw.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

And if you get a new 5100 make sure to set the high adjuster a little richer as most are set to lean out of the factory and some dealers wont adjust richer . Keep in mind the the factory RPM specs are EPA specs, If I had a tach I'd set at least 500RPM lower than factory specs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

lonewolf

Have 2 5100 Dolmars I don't think a better saw can be had for the money. I ran Stihl 44's, 46's, 56's and 66's and wouldn't switch back. Also have 2 7900 Dolmar's and wouldn't give em up. I do have some troubles with the on/off switches failing on the 7900's but i can live with it.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

MakitaCS

Quote from: lonewolf on February 26, 2009, 07:43:39 PM
Have 2 5100 Dolmars I don't think a better saw can be had for the money. I ran Stihl 44's, 46's, 56's and 66's and wouldn't switch back. Also have 2 7900 Dolmar's and wouldn't give em up. I do have some troubles with the on/off switches failing on the 7900's but i can live with it.

I have the 6401 apart right now and there are two wires that are connected to the switch(or maybe one, I'll go check). Maybe one of them came loose? Cutting the current when it is not making contact?

Rick
CHEVYTOWN13

lonewolf

have only had a wire come off once. The switch itself fails internally my saws are still under warrenty and the saw shop will give me new one for free if I can keep the shot one intact.

lonewolf

I am new to this so please bear with me . Computers and I don't seem to get along. I tried to post something in the wanted area and couldn't get it to work. Went to the help board but still can't figure it out. Perhaps I haven't been a member long enough?

Dave Shepard

I think you are on the right track. Not sure how long you have to be here, however. Welcome to the Forum just the same! :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lonewolf

thanks for checking your saw have been looking all over FF at different things am in the market for 200 series timberjack . Have been running an old 540A and it's time to scrap her. Any leads would be appericated am in west central WI .

MakitaCS

It does have two wires that are connected to the on/off switch. Could be just soldering a bit??

Good luck bro.

Rick
CHEVYTOWN13

lonewolf

Don't know something comes apart inside switch.It slides back and foreth but doesn't move the insides. I'm not too concerned as they have a 2 yr warrentry and I will replace them before it's up. Dealer claims they had a defective bunch as several loggers are having the same problem.

chipsfly09

I had to replace the switch on my 7900- The dealer had a whole bag of new ones and I bought a spare- As for my 350 plus tax 5100- have not heard back from this dealer :'(

So much for spending my little tax refund on a toy!

lonewolf

Don't know if I can put phone numbers here but if you don't here from your dealer my dealer would ship to you. He does not accept credit cards but has shipped me parts C.O.D. a few times when working out of town. Was there last week and he had 2 or 3 5100's on the shelf am surre he would be willing to help.

Thank You Sponsors!