iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could you burn this?

Started by sigidi, February 03, 2010, 07:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

thecfarm

It is cut right out of a swamp? A type of wood that really hold it moisture? Even if all of the above is not true,I doubt it will burn good.Not enough small stuff to coal down and make heat and dry out the big stuff,without using 100 gallons of diesel.Looks like you have some dirt on the root balls.That will slow it down too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pigman

QuoteCould you burn this?
I am not sure, but if you send me air fare I will be down and give it a try. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ErikC

A famous saying is "two dry logs will burn a green one" Got any dry logs to put in the pile? ;)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ksu_chainsaw

If you were to wait at least 6 months, but longer is better, it would burn fine, you would just need to put something under the pile to start it- a trashbag full of old crumpled up newspapers with about 1/2 gallon of diesel works good.  Then as it burns, throw the small branches at the outskirts of the pile into the center

rbarshaw

No, I'd mill all I could, cut the rest into fire wood and sell it, trim up the root ball and sell it as 'specially figured wood'. ;D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

sigidi

"could you burn this?" was a figurative question - I didn't realise there where so many pyromaniacs on the forum, thecfarm, pigman, Eric, KSU_chainsaw all you boys are just desperate to have a big ol bonfire aren't ya?

Rbarshaw, you go the idea mate!! That's the spirit ;D

I came across this chap who was clearing to put a turf farm on his property, he had pushed all the cleared tree's into the pile I showed before. His plan was to leave them for a bit (maybe 6 months) then put a match to it all. Well lucky for me I was talking about milling to his son in the local hire shop and his son asks are gums any good to you?

So that's the beginning. The fella says to me after I go and have a look at the pile, you can have what you want mate, you can cut it here if you like, leave the tailings here too. I organise a mate who has a backhoe to come out and give me a hand getting the logs out the pile. He digs around to get a log clear and in the open, I went in with the saw docked out what I could use and chained it, while Dave (the mate on the backhoe) is diggin out the next one, he gets the next one open. While I'm docking the next one he is snigging the first one to a log dump. He'd ran over it with his bucket to make a fairly even pad, with a slight roll down to where I want to put the mill.

At the end of 7.5 hours of me running around with a 16' chain and Harry (my 372XP Husqvarna, 24" bar) docking logs while Dave snigged 'em. We ended up with two dumps, with two ready made mill sites, a much smaller pile and about 50 ton of logs for me 8)

Now I know someone will say something like 'if there are no pictures it didn't happen', so here are some pics...

Dave with his wonderful machine, making light work of what would have been totally impossible for me to do.

An end shot of the first pile, most of these logs turned out to mill really well,a pleasure to mill them made even better by getting the logs given to me.

A side shot of the first pile, just as Dave is leavin. Normally Dave and I trade time for time, he wants some milling done, I get the odd hour or two with his machine done at the house. This one ended up being quite a big day, and Dave's normal rate is $100/hr but he did me a deal - Mates Rates, charged me $500, took him 40 min each way to get to site above the 7.5 hrs we worked.

The second pile.

I don't think I ended up with a log smaller than 400mm dia (almost 16") and I think 2 ended up being 900mm (about 3') This timber was mainly consumed by our house https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41658.0.html It supplied timber for our carport retaining wall, the front verandah retaining wall and all the timber for the front verandah. I managed to sell a bit off too. So all in all a great find 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Chris Burchfield

I had a clearing contractor that would use amfo to bust the rootballs and knock off the dirt. Then he threw everything in a pit that would of held a 45' trailer. Once he stoked the pit with debris and  20 gallons of diesel, he'd fire it up. Then he'd use an air curtain destructor that came within five feet of each end of the pit powered by a diesel engine. Like our grandfathers with a hand crank bellows, the fire would get hot enough that there was no smoke leaving the pit. This is what it takes to burn debris in Memphis and the surrounding Shelby County to satisfy the Health Department and EPA.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

beenthere

Guess the question was "Would you burn this?"  Does put a different twist to it.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pnyberg

I could.  But to be legal, I'd need a permit.
No longer milling

ErikC

I could, and maybe would.  :-\  But you got a lot of nice logs out of there. I can't pass up a good opportunity to drink beer and cook on an open fire though. ;D ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!