iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Jack chainsaw

Started by 1938farmall, May 31, 2011, 08:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1938farmall

Looking around Ebay and found "Big Jack" saw from Canada - brand new,58cc,$150 free shipping w/money back.  Stihl "colors".  Is it some new kind of junk from abroad?  al
aka oldnorskie

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Yoopersaw

I've never heard of it. 

OAP

I googled that for ya 1938farmall because I never heard of Big Jack saws before and you got it right first time, its cheap rubbish.

Spike60

You'll be getting a big jack all right.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

clww

Cheap price but as always, you get what you pay for.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

KB0NES

The pain of poor quality lives long after the joy of low price has worn off...

Although in this case the poor quality may not live that long  :D
Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

jcsumm

I bought a Big Jack saw not expecting much, but it turned out pretty well.  I have a Husqvarna 455 and it is similar to the Big Jack.  I also have two McCulloughs (old ones).  While the Big Jack isn't as good as the others it is adequate for a home owner.  The Husqvarna has about as much plastic as the Big Jack.  I recommend a Big Jack for most home owners. 

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome to the forum jcsumm.

How many cords have you cut wtih the Big Jack?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

I see a Big Jack saw from the Big Jack Tool site (Canada) 58 cc, 22" bar with a price of $149.

::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

I think it would be a complete waste of money

This is a 62 cc Big Jack

When you buy the saw they give you a extra rewind. That should tell a person or warn you about the rest of the saw. Take a look at the rewind, i have never seen anything like it, no wounder you get a extra one.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

The manufacturer (in china) is probably the same one who has been knocking off Stihl models and selling them on the internet, and in some unscrupulous tool outlets.  They are junk, and as stated before, you get what you pay for.  I would take the old McCullochs' any day over anything coming out of C.H. Ina Co.!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kodiakmac

I saw my first Big Jack a few days ago.  Looked just like an older Stihl.  I picked it up and was surprised how heavy it was...must be all that cast iron.  ;)

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Theloggingkid

These are cheap MADE IN CHINA ... sure it might say made in Canada but everything is made in China. A sticker that says made in Canada doesn't mean it's really made there ...

-Main problems that will happen-

1) Oil pump will leak like crazy or won't work at all. ( Oil line installed wrong ).
2) O-ring to seal air filter will be installed wrong and allow sawdust into carb.
3) Carb fuel line will be to long and 80% chance it will be pinched.
4) Fuel cap and or oil cap O-rings 50% chance of leaking.
5) Following proper Fuel / oil mix ratio and break in operation procedure engine has 20 - 30% of seizing 
6) Air filter will tear after about 30 days of use.
7) Flywheel pawl springs are to light gauge and either warp or break in half.

-Other problems-

1) Anti-Vibration mounts fall off or out of position.
2) Pull cord assembly's have ( easy start ) ( A spring inside a spring ) In other words the first spring wind's up   second spring by this time the pull cord is already halfway pulled out then turns the engine over at the end of the rope. ( either pull core stretches and breaks or primary spring breaks ) That's why they give you a second pull cord   assembly ( second one is a regular style system ). NOTE* if you closely at both pull cord covers the cooling vents are different.
3) Random bolts coming loose after the first 3 - 5 hours of use.
4) Chain tension screw will strip threats.
5) Faulty On / Off switch.
6) Wire from coil to switch installed wrong ( pinched in casing )
7) fuel line cracked from factory.

In my personal opinion out of a group of 100 of these chainsaws you MIGHT ... and i can't stress MIGHT enough ... you might get 8 - 10 that won't have any problems for a few months. 

BELIEVE ME !!! I know first hand ... I use to work in a shop that sold an identical chainsaw like this but all red body. I ended up quitting my job because I didn't want to get a bad reputation like the shop was getting. 

*NOTE* 100% of these problems occur on the 56cc model. The 62cc model has 80% of these problems ... and if they also have 45cc model which im sure they do it only has about 20% of these problems.

The chainsaws I had to deal with

- 62cc ( All Red body ).
- 56cc ( Grey body w / orange air filter cover ).
- 45cc ( All Orange body ).

The only good thing about these chainsaws was the carbs had adjustable High / Low jets
Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34
Homelite-XL Automatic, Homelite-XL, Homelite-XL1, Homelite-XL2 x2
Homelite-XL12, Homelite-XL76 x2, Homelite-XL130, Homelite-200
Pioneer-1074, Pioneer-P25, Pioneer-P26, Pioneer-P28, Pioneer-P40, Pioneer-P41 x3, Pioneer-620 x2, Pioneer-650

Theloggingkid

I think i scared everyone away with my last reply  :D
Power Machinery-330
Skil saw-1629
Power tuff-AX34
Homelite-XL Automatic, Homelite-XL, Homelite-XL1, Homelite-XL2 x2
Homelite-XL12, Homelite-XL76 x2, Homelite-XL130, Homelite-200
Pioneer-1074, Pioneer-P25, Pioneer-P26, Pioneer-P28, Pioneer-P40, Pioneer-P41 x3, Pioneer-620 x2, Pioneer-650

sablatnic

You didn't scare me. Now I want one to see just how bad it it. Have been repairing and selling chainsaws for some years, and you have made me curious.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: KB0NES on June 15, 2011, 12:44:16 AM
The pain of poor quality lives long after the joy of low price has worn off...
:D

Thanks for that one.  Suitable for Framing! smiley_thumbsup
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

bandmiller2

The proper name is "big joke" chainsaw, in this old world we get what we pay for. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!