iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Scraps and Louise Nevelson

Started by RavioliKid, November 12, 2001, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavioliKid

Hello, all!

It has been brought to my attention that I have been long absent from the forum. Sorry 'bout that! Things get busy in the Ed Biz.

I am busy planning curriculum for next semester. As you may remember, my school has become an Arts Magnet school. I want to study Louise Nevelson, a sculptor who made assemblages out of wood scraps built into boxes.

Most of her works were painted flat black, but some were painted white and others were painted gold. (metalic gold)

We'll be making our art work out of recycled things that are mostly circular.

I'd love to be able to do wood scraps and wooden boxes, but that will have to wait for another year.

Just thought I'd check in and let y'all know what's up with me!

Take care.
Kim
RavioliKid

Tom

Good having you around again.  I've got wood scraps if you decide to come to Florida.  Don't have many circular ones because the sawmill doesn't work that way too good  Have a few from trimming logs with the chainsaw though.  Got quit a few squares and rectangles.  

What you are doing sounds interesting,  I hope you can show us a picture one of these days of your artwork. Is it something that will be competitive with the students or will they just be working for a grade?  I sure would like to see their progress.

Here is a piece of Intarsia done by the man who was off-loading the sawmill for the log owner.  I had no idea he worked with wood and he showed up with this piece to show us what he had made out of some of the sawmill scraps he had taken home several weeks previous.  What a great project for elementary children old enough to use a scroll saw.

The way he explained to me what he did, it seemed so simple.

I really do like to see art in wood, especially when it is done by someone I least suspect to have the talent.

Thank You Sponsors!