iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain grinder

Started by 1270d, January 01, 2014, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

I'm wondering if anyone has any info about the older Oregon 511's.   Is there anyplace where they can still be purchased?   I wore out my old one, then the frame cracked.  Replaced it with one of the new 511ax, and I don't like it at all. 

Are there other simple, decent quality units out there?  I'm not against spending more money to get a decent unit.   Not interested in something from tractor supply or harbor freight or some such junk.   

I use it to grind harvester chain (404 80guage) and do quite a few loops a week.

Thanks
Mike

mad murdock

Any chance of searching for a used silvey? They made some top notch grinders.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

1270d

Thanks it does look like the silvey 510 would be a good unit to get.   Are there others similar to it that are still manufactured by another company?

Corley5

I bought a MAXX grinder when I got my firewood machine.  I've ground miles of 18H harvester chain with it with no complaints. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bandmiller2

Mike,have a couple of stiff drinks and order a Silvey it will only smart for a little wile. Alot of harvestor chains in a week would tax a cheap grinder. I have a Silvey square grinder its one of those machines that you shut off and it spins for five minutes real pleasure to use. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Philbert

You can still find the Oregon 510 for under $300. It is very similar to the 511A, except for the vise tilt feature (+/- 10 degrees).

If you still have your broken grinder, the parts probably fit as well.

Philbert

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/510a-benchchaingrinder.htm

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/510A_A107101-AB_low-res.pdf

Beefie

Silvey no longer makes grinders or any thing else for that matter. They still have replacement parts. That is straight out of the guys over at Madseens. They are replaing them with simington grinders.

Beefie

bandmiller2

That's a shame about Silvey, they have had a pattened battle with simington for a long time. Frank C.

snowstorm

i have the 511ax its ok but there has to be something better. what do you not like about it? i saw a silva at the woods equipment show.looked good but lots of $$. i think its made in quebec

ladylake

What's wrong with the 511ax, I've  also run a 511 for 30+ years .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Yatt

Sadly Silvey is no more. :(

I had a deal worked out with my dealer where he was going to sell me one of his Silvey 510's until he found out it could not be replaced.  He called the two places he purchased from in the past and there are none to be had. 
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

1270d

I don't like the vise on the ax.   And the new frame has a ton of flex compared to the old style.    We still have an old model at the shop and I've been driving over to use that one rather than the ax in my basement.  The old style cam vise is quite a bit faster for me as well.

Beefie

The Oregon 511 is a good grinder. Not bad priced as well. I have a knock off of this grinder and am happy with it. If I were doing it for a living than I would buck up and find a used silvey or a new simington. Its all in what you spend. Buy something inexpensive and run the snot out of it and replace it every few years or spend a little more and get some life out of it.

Just my 2cents worth.

Beefie

Philbert

QuoteIf I were doing it for a living than I would buck up and find a used silvey or a new simington.

Does Simington make anything besides a square grind unit?

Philbert

Birchwood Logging

I got a good 511a not been used much still on its first stone I don't use it any I might be interested in selling
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Philbert

Curious: What do you guys like better about the 511A vise over the 511AX?

(I have used a 511A for several years. I also bought a Tecomec grinder with the same self-centering vise as the 511AX, but have not used it yet).

Philbert

1270d

Maybe its just from old habits etc but the one size fits all vise on the ax doesn't really fit anything well.  It is floppy and the chain doesn't move through it nicely.  I don't like having to rotate the clamp to lock the chain in place, its a weird motion in relation to what your hands are doing otherwise.  The older wedge lock I like better.   Personal preference more than anything.

Birchwood, I'm looking into.a Silvey right now but might be interested.

Birchwood Logging

Here is a pic 

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

huntindog1

MasterMech knows alot about saws and grinders you might ask him. I think he is now over at firewoodhoarders.

SLawyer Dave

I've never used a grinder.  I touch up my chains with a hand file, and when/if that doesn't work anymore,  I take them in to my dealer to have them sharpened.  It can be kind of pricey, but its always worked for me.  Hearing about lots of people here on the Forum that do their own sharpening, I have been wondering whether I should look into trying this.

I was in my local hardware store yesterday, (my Stihl dealer was already closed and I needed to pick up some bar oil), and they had this small handheld electric chain sharpener/grinder, from Oregon.    At its price, ($35.00), I figure it must be crap, but I know a lot of you on here love Oregon products, so was wondering if any of you knew anything about it, and if so, what you thought of it. 

Thanks

Philbert

I believe that the Oregon and STIHL rotary grinders are made by, or are very similar to, the Granberg ones. They are similar to using a Dremel tool, except many (all?) are 12 volt, allowing you to run them off of your vehicle battery in the field.

In my mind they are more suitable for touch ups, although, I am sure that some guys use them as their primary means for sharpening chains. A lot of these have been sold and are in use.

The diameter of the stone changes as it wears, so it may be less precise than some other methods, but still can put an edge on cutters. They could be helpful in some milling applications, where removing a chain for sharpening takes additional steps.

Philbert

bandmiller2

We all have our opinions but you get what you pay for, those small sharpeners are weekend homeowner stuff, I consider the 511 the minimum for serious grinding. I have a 511 I bought in 1976 when they just started showing up from Italy. Mine is still going strong and will probably outlast me. My other grinder is a Silvey Razor sharp 2 square grinder. Most of us would not buy a cheap saw, why buy a diddly grinder.?? Frank C.

Grandedog

Howdy,
   The 511A has been discontinued, and replaced by the 510A. The biggest difference is that they don't have a tilting vise.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

H 2 H

Quote from: Grandedog on January 06, 2014, 01:38:16 PM
     Howdy,
   The 511A has been discontinued, and replaced by the 510A. The biggest difference is that they don't have a tilting vise.
Regards
Gregg

Greg; what has been the best selling chain grinder at Baileys ?
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Grandedog

Howdy,
   If you look at just 1 model, it's the Maxx. If you consider that they sell the Oregon Brand, and Tecomec (manufacturer of Oregon branded grinders), the 511AX / Speed Sharp Star would be the best seller by a little bit.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Thank You Sponsors!