iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Now THAT was brilliant :-(

Started by OneWithWood, September 14, 2004, 09:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I used to strap my tried and true 038 to the crawler when I ventured out into the woods to gather logs cause you never know when you need to do some trim work.  The other day I was maneuvering on a tricky slope trying to pick up a white oak log.  All my concentration was on the log and the slope so I did not inadvertently roll the log down into the ravine or slide the crawler down into it.  I hardly noticed the beech branch that tried to remove my head as I positioned the forks under the log.  I needed to reposition the log so I ended up doing a number of turns and forward and back motions.  Got the log onto the forks and headed up the slope.  I noticed a branch still attached to the log protruding just enough to make it difficult to negotiate among the trees.  Stopped the crawler and reached for my trusty 038.   :o
What, it was there a minute ago?  I noticed the bungee stretched out behind the crawler  :o :o :o
There on the end of the chord was my trusty old 038 in a noticeably new configuration.  NO!   Oh, yes grasshopper you should have secured that better - the thought even streamed through your pea-head when you put it on there.  But no-o-o-o you thought it was on there good enough for the short trip.
Well there was no turning back the clock.  The saw msut have been knocked of the crawler by that beech branch and I proceeded to back over it at least once  ::)
I have not dismantled the saw yet but I can see that both outer cases are broken, the hand bar is bent, the bar is bent, and the started coil is broken.  
DanG, I hate it when I do these stoopid things :-/ :-[
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bushwhacker

Sad story all right. Just remember  Hindsight's 20-20. Just be glad you weren't hurt. Saws can be replaced or fixed.
KLH

Kevin

Might be worth a call to your insurance company.

OneWithWood

The deductible is too high and the saw too old  :(
One With Wood

leweee

OWW ...sorry to hear of your lose :( Lost a few saws myself over the years....always hurts to talk about...those trips from the road to the trees and back to the road sure seem to raise the mortality rate. Seems theres a direct relationship between the price of the saw and the size of the transporting equipment... anyhow saw loses ever time. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rvrdivr

OneWithWood, I hope it's ok to add to your thread here...
I too had some "brilliant" manuvures latly. I'm on the Florida East Coast and am taking advantage of all the trees down from Hurricane Francis. The first stupid thing I did was to leave my Husqvarna sitting on the ground behind the truck. I then procedded to back the truck and trailer to the logs I had cut...I'm sure you can geuss the rest.  :o That's right I ran the thing over, DUH!
After that I left the back doors open on the truck and when I made a sharp turn with the trailer, It bent the doors in. :o One first then the other an hour later. You'd think I would have leared the first time but I didn't. They wouldn't close at all. After that I called it a day! :D

DanManofStihl

I have had that kind of day before. I was working down the street about a month ago and had just gotten their had not been cutting for 25 minutes and I ran it into the ground my chain was extremely daw then I went to the truck got out one of my spares started cutting and got bit by a copper head right on the boot I just put my saw in the truck and told the guy I would come back later I was afraid of what could happen next. That was a horrible day.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

OneWithWood

rvrdiver, you can add to my thread anytime.  It is the additions that keep this forum going and make it so interesting.

One With Wood

etat

Hope ya don't mind if I add something too.

Years ago working for the other man.  Occasionally he'd mix in some tree work with the roofing.  One year, about mid summer he noticed his saws were missing.  All three of em.  Without directly accusing anybody he pretty much thought one of us hands had stole em.  

A few weeks later the motor on the Smith Hoist wouldn't crank.  I noticed the piece that mounts the carb to the engine had a crack in it. Boss man sent me to the Saw Shop to see if I could come up with a replacement piece.

The only one they had in stock was on a brand new Wisconsin motor.  I talked em into ordering 'them' a replacement and selling us that one.  Right off of that motor.

When I started to leave the owner of the shop asked me to wait a minute.  He went in the back, came back, and told me we had some saws in the back.  Three of em.  It seems the owner of the outfit had carried them in to be serviced in the early spring, and had apparently forgotten about it. They asked me if I wanted to pick up the saws.  NOPE, says I, I'd just go ahead and leave that up to the Boss, especially under the circumstances of how he thought they had been stolen.

Went back to the shop and told Boss Man, in front of pretty much everbody where his dang saws was.  He left there pretty much with his tail between his legs, just as he should have.

He drove to that Saw Shop and picked up them saws.  Didn't close his tailgate, or secure the saws.  Along with one of them slick bed liners.  When he got back to the shop all's he had was just that one little bitty stilhl saw.  Apparently the bigger ones had done slid out of that truck going down the highway.  He backtracked but never did find nothing.

I didn't even try to hide how funny I thought that turned out, again under the circumstances.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sawguy21

Now that is funny. Looks good on the goof!!!. Years ago a guy brought in a Stihl 041 he had bought at the auction. Could not start it. I replaced the scored piston and cylinder. He returned a few days later complaining about lack of power. He was dropping it on the log at idle! I showed him how to run it and he left happy.
The following week he came back with a box of little pieces. He was driving through the reserve and came upon his buddies.They had gone around a 36" tree with a 16" bar. Gordie said "I can do that" and finished in the cut they had started. Dropped that pine on the saw and his truck.I said" Gordie, you are lucky to be alive. That's what you get for being a nice guy
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!