iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Defusing A Log Jam Bomb

Started by Dixiebonsai, August 23, 2015, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixiebonsai

Any of you ever try and get wood from dozer piles? I spent a nerve racking evening whittling my way slowly into a dozer pile that has some huge trees in it. Big time farmer that owns land behind me owns a dozer .He isn't taking time to log sections of woods, just pushing them up. Every cut I make has to be carefully studied  to make sure I don't hurt or kill myself. Trying to be cautious of chain reaction and logs/limbs that under pressure.I started at the bottom edge of one pile but that put the wood up above me. Now I'm up on top walking the trunks of huge trees slowly, cautiously whittling away.Using that chain brake a lot too. I bet there is a 100 Cord back there if I could get it all.

Warped

Can't get a chain on'em and pull'em clear? Be careful!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

beenthere

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Take your time and do a lot of looking and planning.

And yes, I've done it.. with an 8N Ford and a Homelite chain saw.. a long time ago. Very hard to keep the saw sharp with the dirt that gets bulldozed together with the logs. Salvaged around 20MBF out of those piles of high grade red and white oak logs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnW

Yes, I've cut in bull dozer piles before.  I don't claim any expertise.  A lot of times cuts that look like they'd be opening from one side are actually closing if cut from that side.  I watch close for the cut to be closing on my bar. 

Your stacks sound pretty high, I would want to keep my feet on the ground.  I don't mind cutting away a bunch of junk to the log I want to cut up.

3" or 4" limbs under tension can be pretty wicked.  My theory is, don't cut them all the way through in one place, make 2 or 3 cuts part way though to relieve some of the tension.

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: Warped on August 23, 2015, 10:06:36 PM
Can't get a chain on'em and pull'em clear? Be careful!

I wish I could do as you suggest Warped, pull some of it out with a chain.Unfortunately, these piles are on a ridge, a steep grade,which i littered with rocks a limbs from the dozer job.Also not sure how my farmer friend would react to me ripping his work up too much.I am just a poor ole country boy with a chainsaw, a two wheel drive truck and a four wheeler.I have been cutting the logs into small enough sections that I can skid them down to flat ground with my four wheeler and load them on my truck/trailer.What I really need is a team of mules. LOL.

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: beenthere on August 23, 2015, 10:34:45 PM
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Take your time and do a lot of looking and planning.

And yes, I've done it.. with an 8N Ford and a Homelite chain saw.. a long time ago. Very hard to keep the saw sharp with the dirt that gets bulldozed together with the logs. Salvaged around 20MBF out of those piles of high grade red and white oak logs.
Funny that you mention an 8N sir. I have been working on my grandfathers 1950 8n which sat in a barn since the late 70s early 80s.After rebuilding the carb , ignition system,oil change and a new battery I nervously fired her up, not knowing what to expect.I want you to know that thing purred like a kitten. No smoke ,starter still good,radiator still good, generator still good.Simply amazing, 65 years old and runs like a 2015 model.A testament to the quality we once knew in this country. She lacks just a little being completely refurbished.
I mentioned that the dozer piles Im working on are on a steep grade.Not sure if I would want to take my grandfathers tractor up there though.I understand they were known to be a roll over hazard and no roll bar.

Raider Bill

Where a bouts in Tennessee are you?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 24, 2015, 09:13:04 AM

Raider Bill,
I am north of Nashville, close to the Tennessee/Kentucky border.I can purt near throw a rock and hit Kentucky.What we call the Highland Rim area.

beenthere

Not sure where your fears come from about the 8N rolling over. As I recall, it was very stable on hillsides and a ROPS on one is over-rated.
True, that with a log arch on the 3 PH and lifting , one could get the front end off the ground and then just having to steer with the brakes (note: the brakes are one of the weak spots on an 8N). Keep the front end on or near the ground by adjusting the 3 ph constantly when pulling a heavy log.

Here is a pic of using a modified log arch on the 8N.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: beenthere on August 24, 2015, 10:41:46 AM
Not sure where your fears come from about the 8N rolling over. As I recall, it was very stable on hillsides and a ROPS on one is over-rated.
True, that with a log arch on the 3 PH and lifting , one could get the front end off the ground and then just having to steer with the brakes (note: the brakes are one of the weak spots on an 8N). Keep the front end on or near the ground by adjusting the 3 ph constantly when pulling a heavy log.

Sir,
Older farmers told me be careful and I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKlCtZttqtg
My only experiences using this old 8N was pulling tobacco wagons from field to barn as a child.All my kin, who could have taught me more, have passed on.I have received a lot of good advice on http://www.ntractorclub.com/forums/nboard/,best advice, never pull with top link always keep log below axle height, as low to the ground as possible.I just dont know its limitations so I will treat it with respect and caution.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Dixiebonsai on August 24, 2015, 09:50:57 AM

Raider Bill,
I am north of Nashville, close to the Tennessee/Kentucky border.I can purt near throw a rock and hit Kentucky.What we call the Highland Rim area.

My place is in the S.E. corner near Tellico Plains
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

dixie
ALWAYS be careful, regardless what it is you are running or working around.

The driver in the video was not too swift with his pulling technique and had time to disengage his clutch when the front end lifted up as it did. In a pulling contest as shown, they are trying to stay on that edge where they get the maximum traction. But most contests will require support wheels or rigging at the back which won't allow the flip that was shown. Looked like a bad one.
If one is not alert or experienced, lets out the clutch and just rides.. then yes, they can flip over backwards.
south central Wisconsin

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: beenthere on August 24, 2015, 10:41:46 AM

Appreciate the picture too "beenthere".Saved your picture to my 8N pictures folder.I never knew such a creature existed.I Googled it, looked at images, and saw many examples.Seems like a safe way to skid logs.Now to figure out how to poor boy, redneck, DIY one. LOL.

beenthere

dixie
They are common now and called a "3 ph quickhitch" .  Used to quick hitch 3 ph accessories, and very handy for skidding logs.
south central Wisconsin

Bru

One more thing for the new 8N user--or any other new user: If there's any chance your tires have frozen to the ground since last use, start your first movement in REVERSE!  Quickest-acting laxative you'll likely ever need is watching the front end buck up in the air because the rear wheels won't roll, and that torque has to go somewhere.

Warped

I've stood my 350 IH utility up enough times that I actually was pretty good at setting it back down gently so as to not bust up the front end.........done with that!
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 24, 2015, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: Dixiebonsai on August 24, 2015, 09:50:57 AM

Raider Bill,

My place is in the S.E. corner near Tellico Plains

Raider Bill,
I am a big admirer of the beauty of our state sir.You are lucky, you are in what I consider to be one of the most lovely parts of our state.I call it "God's country".My family and I have spent some time over that way camping, hiking and white water rafting.

Gregg

Hilltop366

It seems that the people who get injured or killed by flipping their tractor over backwards hauling wood are not not getting in to trouble at the beginning of the haul but after things are going good on the skidding trail.

They tend to speed up and when the log fetches up on a rock or root that they have gone over several times before with no trouble but this time it tries to stop the log. Because of the extra speed there is little to no reaction time and it is too late.

Perhaps a safer 3ph rig to haul logs would include a blade below the chain hooks to prevent the tractor from being able to flip, something like a bottom section of a 3ph logging winch would have. It would also be handy for pushing logs in a pile or shoving logs backwards when skidding.

The other thing that is handy is a box on the front of the tractor for weight and a place to put extra chains and pins. I made one for the MF210 I use to use by welding a piece of 2x6 tubing to some thick 6" angle iron and then put on some sides on the box covering the ends of the 2x6. I also filled the 2x6 with lead before capping it off.

Take your time and stay safe.

Thank You Sponsors!