iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CB Dealers are anoying

Started by Logging logginglogging, March 24, 2016, 09:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

Very annoyed, The local CB dealers do not order things and have them shipped like most businesses. Typically if they run out of Ashtrol, they simply wait until they receive a new stove and literally have it shipped inside the stove. I assume this is to save money. Meanwhile, we are left to use our stoves without the required product. The same goes for updated parts. I have ordered updates and it could be months before I actually receive them. Typically if a dealer is out of Ashtrol, I have to go to other dealers, or order it online myself. They should be required to keep certain things in stock to support the product that they sell as well as parts that are known to brake such as blower fans and updated fire doors and things.

Gary_C

Get a bag of barn lime. It's far cheaper and most likely the same thing.

The whole purpose of the additive is PH control of the ashes and lime will do that.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Logging logginglogging

I Know, I have heard that 100 times... but its the same reason I run only the best synthetic oil I can get in my cars... peace of mind I guess... It calls for Ashtrol, I want Ashtrol...

doctorb

There are, I'm sure, no minimum standard for ordering parts, shipping, parts kept in stock, etc. between CB dealers.  My dealer has had every part I have needed sent to my home.  He mails me an invoice AFTER I have received it which includes the shipping costs.  I have received gaskets, replacement water level valves, and air passage inserts via the mail.  I'm sorry your dealer is so unresponsive.

I do feel your pain, however.  If I had one suggestion for CB, it would be to rethink the business model that they have used for years.  It depends way too much on the motivation and character of the dealers.  As we all know, that's variable between people, and so CB customers get variable degrees of local customer support.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

firechief

Last time I ordered Ashtrol it was from ebay at or a few bucks below dealers cost.  Two containers shipped right to the house with free shipping. 8)

Gary_C

Then I would like to sell you some Pfu-Pfu powder. It works as good if not better than Ashtrol plus it will keep the elephants away. And it is cheaper.  ;D

Seriously there is good reason for a logger to use full synthetic oil because you get better cold starts with 5W-40 synthetic. And there is a loophole in the allowable specs for synthetic blends to let the manufacturer blend a little synthetic with regular oils and still call it synthetic.

But there are no specs nor claims about Ashtrol other than please use it in your CB burner.  ::)

Logging logginglogging

Yeah I have seen it cheaper on ebay too, and ill probably start getting it there. I have posted on here and other places in hopes that someone would get the exact chemical makeup of Ashtrol and post it. never got a reply yet. Once again tho its just like aftermarket vs OEM parts... I like OEM if I can get them. I guess im crazy, but ill only use pfu-pfu powder in a pfu-pfu system that says to only use real Acme-pfu-pfu powder and no substitutes!!

Gary_C

OK, it's Calcium Carbonate. CaCO3    ;D

thecfarm

Not that it really matters,but I don't think other brands require anything to be added to the wood. Snake oil???  ???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CTL logger

Must be your dealer mine has had every part I've ever needed. My boiler is 15 years old I burn good quality wood in it have never used ashtrol just clean it every spring put a bucket on the stack and check the water spring and fall. Never used the stuff why start now.

coxy

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on March 24, 2016, 11:40:14 AM
I Know, I have heard that 100 times.. It calls for Ashtrol, I want Ashtrol...
how much do you think you go through 2-3or 4 jugs of it     why not just buy enough at one time to last the year then you have piece of mind  ;D

boilerman101

I don't believe all Central Boiler dealers are annoying, mine is great and available 7 days a week and he stocks any part you could ever need. Sorry to hear that yours does not. I've used Ashtrol in all my old Classic and Eclassic. Fireboxes look great after years of use. I experimented a little using and not using for a few weeks and feel that it does reduce creosote buildup. I've been told the best feature is that it reduces the ash and creosote acidity. Does it or doesn't it? I don't know, I'm not a chemist, but I've had no problems with my fireboxes and it still seems like cheap insurance, especially in the gassifiers which seem to run a wetter firebox anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!