iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Sharpening Jig

Started by Cedar Eater, May 05, 2016, 02:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Eater

I like to have a portable bench for sharpening saw chains so I can sit while I sharpen chains. This takes advantage of gravity on my body to stabilize the bench and the b&c. A simple 1X spruce board across two five gallon pails works pretty well on a flat surface and it's easy to move to my deer camp for when I cut there. I was using this clamp on vise.

It's really not very stable though, and I have to lean over the saw far enough that my back gets sore. And as you can see, the clamp attaches to the side of the board that I sit on which means that the bar is not right in the middle of the board for filing from both sides. I have to be extra careful when sharpening for ripping, so since today was too rainy to be outside, I finally got the gumption to make a better system. It isn't much, but it sure is way more stable.

Some angle iron, 1/4" bolts and nuts, 3/8" washers, and a 3/8" bolt and wingnut and I now have a really stable and well positioned bar. I can put the chains I'm sharpening on backwards on an old dead O17 with a worn .325 drive sprocket and my spare 16" .325 bar, or I can easily swap my saw into position. This allows me to work right above the links that I'm sharpening and it's way more stable than any other system that I've used.

I will probably weld the 3/8" bolt to the angle iron to make it one less moving part. I would be interested to see other setups for hand filing chains.
Cedar Eater

sablatnic

Does the work - and it is CHEAP! Like it!!

Haggis

I have been mulling over what I am going to do for filing up at my camp and this has given me some ideas. Thanks!

Straightgrain

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

motohed

I was looking at the picture , maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me , but the chain looks like it's on backwards .

motohed

I guess , should stop speed reading . LOL

Thank You Sponsors!