iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Falling pics and video thread!

Started by CCC4, September 19, 2016, 09:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHP Logging

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on October 02, 2016, 07:45:26 AM
What is a Coos Bay back cut, cutting from both sides?

If you look at the first stump that I'm calling a coos bay back cut you can see the saw marks on the butt. I put the face in from the right side if the tree, gutted the hinge and then back barred from the back to the hinge all while on my knee(s). Then I got up walked around to the other side and back barred from the side to the middle.  I put the tip in just behind the hinge and moved the saw from the left side to the center.  Typically I will cut more of the guts out before the back side on big hard Leaners. When it goes it will pull the back of the stump out which can be cut off. If you leave the wood closer to the center it can pull wood from the butt. I've been working on getting my cuts level without a cheater line with the saw.  These pics were from a few weeks ago.  I had a few perfectly flat stumps friday.  It's hard to eye up on big trees. To me this is more efficient then bore cutting because you haven't committed so much of your saw to the tree.  You can feel where the kerf is getting tight vs. when boring it's harder to gauge that.  When the tree sits down on your full bar you're going to be walking back to the truck for a new saw. This cut is also faster than boring.  Believe it or not I have timed it in similar sized trees. I'm usually cutting for volume so time is money.  It takes some practice to get it right and not tear the log apart.  You just have to know what you and your saw can get away with.
Buckin in the woods

CCC4

Bitz what is the other Coos Bay....the one with a triangle instead of a T? Also can you refresh my memory as to what a Swanson face is? The mad hatter was talking about one, I should have asked I guess.

Yeh that timber or yours looks like a fairly low canopy...bet it was fun scrambling out of the way!

CCC4

Got my 2188 Bitz...love it!! Feels heavy off the shelf...but it is the lightest, most nimble saw I have run! Been thrashing threw a TSI wild pine cut last few days with it...its boss for sure! Need different dawgs though

bigblue12v

Quote from: RHP Logging on October 02, 2016, 08:27:06 AM
Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on October 02, 2016, 07:45:26 AM
What is a Coos Bay back cut, cutting from both sides?

When it goes it will pull the back of the stump out which can be cut off. If you leave the wood closer to the center it can pull wood from the butt.

Like so... Although this was regular bore cut. I wasn't quite all the way through the strap and she took off, so I went the other way. I'm still pretty green and learning lots and lots, lately I've been working on practicing bore cuts especially on ones I think may have rot or that bar doesn't reach all the way across. So far I really like it. Gives me more time to get my hinge right and make sure I'm confident in my cuts. At this point I'm more worried about my doing it right and safely than sheer speed. My two biggest things right now is accurately reading a tree and looking up. I've been doing better on both with more practice. Small trees really screw me up the most somehow lol you know the ones that aren't big enough for a wedge. One thing I've learned is to slow down a little. More satisfying and impressive to do it right, know you're working safe, put it exactly where you want and leave a stump you won't be embarrassed by.
I'm learning more everyday much thanks to the pros here! This might be my first stump pic so go easy on me   :D
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

CCC4

My phone got shifted by woods spirits I guess! LOL! Face was waaay overkerfed with essentially a coventinal and Humbolt snipe forming a bird beak. Then i bored from the face with my 30" bar as far back as I could. Went well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHMc-FVe1DY

CCC4

Looks good bigblue12v!! I bet you had to sharpen after that one!! Hate those dirt filled holes! Nice work though!!

BurkettvilleBob

Thanks for the additional explanation RHP.

bigblue12v

Quote from: CCC4 on October 02, 2016, 10:26:52 AM
Looks good bigblue12v!! I bet you had to sharpen after that one!! Hate those dirt filled holes! Nice work though!!
Thank you! My chain wasn't the freshest when I started, did swap it after that tree though.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Coltont

Bitz those hard head wedges are awesome wedges.  My biggest complaint about them is that you cant double stack them worth a crap.  They just puke back out at you .  K and H seem to be about the best for durability price and they drive really well.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Coltont on October 09, 2016, 06:41:52 AM
Bitz those hard head wedges are awesome wedges.  My biggest complaint about them is that you cant double stack them worth a crap.  They just puke back out at you .  K and H seem to be about the best for durability price and they drive really well.
your alive! try this, start three wedges side by side but only drive the outer two. after a few taps stack the middle. they can't turn side ways this way.

RHP Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on October 09, 2016, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: Coltont on October 09, 2016, 06:41:52 AM
your alive! try this, start three wedges side by side but only drive the outer two. after a few taps stack the middle. they can't turn side ways this way.

Hes right.  There is so much weight in the back of those hardheads they bounce out when stacking.  I figured that out on Friday. I put saw chips between and tried stacking em different ways to no avail. The tree wasn't tall or very big either.  It should have taken its medicine easily.
Buckin in the woods

John Mc

I generally don't double stack my wedges anyway. I prefer to throw a cookie in the gap, and put a wedge on top of that. It's much less likely to spit out the wedge.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on October 02, 2016, 09:51:19 AM
Bitz what is the other Coos Bay....the one with a triangle instead of a T? Also can you refresh my memory as to what a Swanson face is? The mad hatter was talking about one, I should have asked I guess.

Yeh that timber or yours looks like a fairly low canopy...bet it was fun scrambling out of the way!

The triangle coos is cut an angle of the back on both sides then square up and chase to the hinge.  Not very effective in large hardwoods in my opinion. The Swanson from what I gathered is a super wide, deep snipe intended to get the butt on the ground asap.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

If anyone is curious why I've Ben using such big conventional faces in these oaks.  Allows them to slip back over the stump and helps take some of the tension out of them.  This one is particularly limby. A real pinch monster. Clean butt log though and yes it did clean up nicely.  It had two tens and two eights. A Humboldt face puts the tree in an even worse bind then it already is.

Buckin in the woods

CCC4

Yuk dude...I know we gotta cut whats in front of us but I don't even have to cut stuff like your last pic. I avoid stuff like that, that kick back is what gets you killed Bitz. Stay safe dude *DanG!

Thanks for the xplanation of the triangle coos, I thought that was what it was, Im with you on using it in the hardwood. I would have to see a pic of the Swanson. Madhatter was suggesting it on that big hard leaner video I have on here. I think it would have exploded on a big sniped Humbolt. That thing was popping 3 inches deep on the backcut. The stall I put in it was the only thing that saved me I think...well that and gutting the heart out from the face.

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on October 14, 2016, 10:58:00 AM
Yuk dude...I know we gotta cut whats in front of us but I don't even have to cut stuff like your last pic. I avoid stuff like that, that kick back is what gets you killed Bitz. Stay safe dude *DanG!

Thanks for the xplanation of the triangle coos, I thought that was what it was, Im with you on using it in the hardwood. I would have to see a pic of the Swanson. Madhatter was suggesting it on that big hard leaner video I have on here. I think it would have exploded on a big sniped Humbolt. That thing was popping 3 inches deep on the backcut. The stall I put in it was the only thing that saved me I think...well that and gutting the heart out from the face.

I've had some worse on this job then that one, but his one was up there. I've been in this wood for six weeks now.  Monday should be my last day.  I get worried about logs rolling over on me when bucking them. Sometimes I miss a big limb on the far side and the log comes at me hard when they come apart. Other times the logs don't come apart until the last buck. Thats a lot of movement all at once.  I ran through a full tank on this tree. The worst part about this woods is the under brush.  It's all multi flora rose, buckthorn, and some other thorny bush.  Grape vines too.  Hour and forty minutes drive from the house in light traffic. Two hours plus in heavy traffic. 

For the guys who claim they don't swear, they should spend a week with me. You'd be cussing like a sailor by 8am in this woods. I still get a kick out of that.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Here's a pretty good sample of what the woods looks like.  All the green on the ground is some kind of thorn bush with multi flora rose mixed in.  The taller green is buckthorn. I'm cutting all sawtimber trees. There is really good regen in spots.

Buckthorn "trees" and thorn bushes. Everything green will stick ya.

Pretty typical of what the harvest trees look like when I walk up.  The rose bushes were mostly dead on this one so they don't show up well.  Note the old tops from twenty years ago.  I love working around old tops.

Buckin in the woods

CCC4

I been calming down on yard sale rigging fits...I like my new helmet too much  :)

Looks like a mess! I'm in a mess too, muscadine grape vines, green briars and some sort of wicked briar that pokes holes in my pack jugs. Everybody asks why I don't where a shirt...I have trashed 2 shirts this past week. Without one on I can slip like a ninja  ;D

RHP Logging

The Swanson is really just a super snipe.  Nearly like shaving a vertical off the stump.
Buckin in the woods

CCC4

Quote from: RHP Logging on October 14, 2016, 08:07:07 PM
The Swanson is really just a super snipe.  Nearly like shaving a vertical off the stump.

It wouldn't have worked on a leaner then would it? I don't see how.

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on October 14, 2016, 08:09:27 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on October 14, 2016, 08:07:07 PM

It wouldn't have worked on a leaner then would it? I don't see how.

I don't see how it would either.  It's just for getting the butt off the stump.  Nothing to do with the tree really. Those west coast guys don't always get how our timber works.
Buckin in the woods

OH logger

those thorny brushy jobs suck!!!! just got done with the worst one ive done in a while. luckily i was only there 8 or 10 days. it was somewhat recently pastured so it was loaded with multiflora rose and honeysuckle. waded througha lot of crap just  to check if the trees were marked. dont know which is worse if they are marked or not ;D. we were mostly taking out the dead and ash trees and to add insult t o injury they were more dead than i thought :o :(. glad to be startin a new job tomorow that is clean of all that B.S.  :)
john

RHP Logging

Yeah it sucks!  They marked the save trees and you can't see them until you step on em.  I get revenge on all the thorns and crap later in the skidder but a buckthorn tree almost got me back yesterday.

Buckin in the woods

treeslayer2003

Bob you need some green briar and black berry mixed in there for good measure lol. oh and a few holly bushes too.

Coltont

Here's a big poplar from Thursday.  Had to climb it and set a line up near where the top started branching.  Ran the line to a snatch block and down to the winch line on the 380 timberjack.  Had rite around 3000' of wood in it. https://youtu.be/tzMx8LjFHc8

Thank You Sponsors!