iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Atv Firewood cutting deck

Started by sublime68charger, March 14, 2017, 01:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublime68charger

building upon my ATV Logging Arch and trying to utilize that more.

which is here,

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90598.msg1394992.html#msg1394992

or a better build on the arch is in this forum

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...=294895&page=4

I want a better way to cut firewood and not have to bend over to the logs on the ground so this is the start of that project. Idea I want a raised platform that I can stand and cut the logs from with out bending over. but the problem is getting the logs up to that height.

this is the start of the working deck upon which the logs will be cut.

some 3x8x12 heavy wood planks and some 2x4 spaced out so the ATV can drive up and over top of the deck.
3 sets of the 2x4 spaced with a 1/2" gap and 4 sets spaced with a 2" gap Ill due some test sawing of the logs and find out which spacing I like better.
I'm thinking the 2" gap spacing. will be what I go with for the whole deck but need to due some test cutting on it.

sublime68charger

got the deck done and took out to my wood cutting area for the first trial runs,

ATV goes right on up and over and log follows along okay. I did have the 2nd log skip off to the side I may have to put some guides to keep the log up on the deck instead of sliding off to the side.

not to bumpy for the atv going along the deck pulling the log either.

the last log was to long for the deck just left some up on the deck and then brought the winch line back and hooked onto the log and brought that last part up onto the deck to get it cut as well.

also put the blocks on the deck to split and the splitting seem to go better?
is this because the blocks are on a solid platform and not getting smashed back into the ground?
Though this was just a small sample size.

sublime68charger

now pulling up that last tail of the log up on the deck to get it cut.

this will be a ongoing and evolving as I learn what is better or want to try different things.

thanks for viewing.

Woodcutter_Mo

Providing you can keep the logs clean while skidding them up, that setup looks like it should help keep the chain out of the dirt :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

sublime68charger

the Little Logging Arch I have on the ATV keeps some of the log up and out of the dirt while being dragged to the deck for blocking.

pic of my arch in use.

also Pics of arch and the rear dolly for a total log transport and keeping log dirt free.

r.man

Keeping a block well supported on the ground helps with splitting, a large shallow base block works well for this and it also keeps your ax out of the dirt. For splitting by hand however the best advantage is a hard freeze. Wood that would normally require an 8 lb maul can be split with a light ax and wood that requires multiple blows with the maul very often flies apart with one strike in the cold. My friend used to cut wood the right way for labour, fall and block on a hard crust after the January thaw to keep your saw out of the rocks and dirt, split on the coldest days you can operate in to make it as easy as possible and then pile after the frost is out but before the bugs so the piles don't shift and fall over.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sublime68charger

so I have made a 2nd deck for firewood cutting and made some improvments on things.

The deck will eventually fill up will bark and sawdust and such. so I pulled it out of the way back before the ground was frozen bladed off the area to get rid of the bark/sawdust/junk. Put the deck back in its spot but then got the idea to set it up a bit higher as to it will take longer to fill up. I thought I'd have to extend the ramp out another section to make the approach ramp more managable. Did that and now my approach is kinda of slippery to get up onto the deck. I like the deck at this height as cutting is alot better.

Thinking I need to length the approach ramp another 12" section then I have a old truck tire thread that I'm gonna screw down onto where the ATV tires track and see if I get better traction that way.

Crusarius

I really like that. Looks very functional. Curious to know how the tire works. I have old shingles on the ramp for my shed. The reason the shingles are there is to prevent me from slipping trying to walk on it. The ramp gets pretty slimy.

sublime68charger

Crusarius, 

I have some scarp metal shingles that I'm gonna cut up and put them down where the tires go up the ramp to provide grip.  These are all parts cut-off from a valley roof instal that my dad saved and will work good for this has grit for grip and ridges and bumps and they scrap parts not good for anything else but thinking that will make great traction aide on the ramp also gonna length the ramp another 24" to redue the angle.  The wood load sometimes maxes out the ATV pulling power and I dont want to get to the ramp and be done every time I bring in a log.

Thank You Sponsors!