iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brilliant idea or dumb?

Started by Doug Wis, March 20, 2017, 10:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Wis

I have a TK 1600 with the standard ruler type scale. At 71 my peepers aren't as sharp as they used to be and I have trouble at times seeing the scale clearly. A little wind makes my eyes water and many times I have to bring the saw back further than needed to set for the next cut. Digital readouts have been discussed on here, but my general impression is that they don't work out too well.  With the proliferation of cameras in our lives, I got to wondering if you could mount a camera pointed right at the scale with  a screen at the control station.  The add on back up vehicle cameras seem like they would fit the bill. 12v and the camera would be weatherproof and it seems like many are wireless so would simplify the installation. A quick search  shows they aren't too expensive. Problems? dust, could they focus that close, how readable are the displays are the displays more readable than the DRO's. Have done very little research on this but thought I would get  some feedback first. Over the years I have found that many of my "stroke of genius" ideas turn out to be  rather dumb. thanks
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Ljohnsaw

I like the idea!  The back-of-car cameras use a fish-eye lens so things look pretty small.  You would have to mount it pretty close to your pointer (shouldn't be a problem).  They focus pretty well but you might have to add a light if the camera casts a shadow on the scale.  How big of a screen are you thinking?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DGK

How about mounting a magnifying glass near the pointer? Maybe that could help.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

ChugiakTinkerer

The camera and screen combo is what a few folks in my office use that are seeing-impaired.  If your mill is out of the weather and won't have sunshine causing glare on the screen, it sounds like a stroke of genius,   :)

The stuff made for vision impaired folks looks to be heinously expensive.  Something like a video doorbell monitor is priced right, but may not have good optics for seeing your scale.  Maybe an inspection camera would work?  Would be useful even if it doesn't solve the sawmill scale problem.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html
Woodland Mills HM130

Kbeitz

Shop Fox part of Grizzly's sub subdivisions sells a table saw fence that
has a little thing called a MAGNIFIED CURSOR. Part number X2005012A .
It fits over the tape measure or ruler to magnify the little marks so you
can see them. I think this would help you a lot. I have one on my table saw.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/h6472_pl.pdf

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Doug, remember when we were kids and the small screen TV's had that big magnifier that stuck on the screen. Really you just need a little magnification right where the pointer is as, suggested just use a magnifying glass. No need to over engineer a simple problem. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Doug Wis

Thanks for the ideas, I did try to mount a magnifying  glass on it, but couldn't get it to focus and align right, then broke it and never got back to that idea. will look into the magnified curser idea.   The back up cameras I looked at had either a 4" or 7" screen.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

Delawhere Jack

I use bi-focal safety glasses from WoodCraft. Eye protection and close up vision all in one. Fairly cheap too, $8. The salesman told me that "chicks dig them..." so I bought two pair... he lied.  ::)

Clover

I vote for back up camera. It is a stroke of genius LOL. I read somewhere that a guy had come up with a large dial scale for the norwoods. Anyone have a setup like that?
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

drobertson

There are swing arm type bench lamps with built in magnifiers, maybe one of these?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Quote from: Doug Wis on March 21, 2017, 10:14:38 PM
    Thanks for the ideas, I did try to mount a magnifying  glass on it, but couldn't get it to focus and align right, then broke it and never got back to that idea. will look into the magnified curser idea.   The back up cameras I looked at had either a 4" or 7" screen.

magnifying cursors...

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/39723
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Doug, I don't know how large the numbers are on your scale. We're the same age and I use an aluminum yardstick that I can see without my reading glasses. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

D6c

I was at Midwest Wheel yesterday and they had a fairly inexpensive magnetic mount wireless backup camera.  Thought about it for hooking up trailers without a spotter.

WLC

Kbeitz, THANK YOU for that link.  You just made my life easier.  I wear reading glasses only for up close stuff and that magnifier will let me not have to look like a school marm with my glasses down on the end of my nose just to read the rule on the mill while not needing glasses for the rest of the process.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

21incher

That is a great idea. How about a go pro and you can watch it right on your phone with the app. They can take a beating and use a rechargeable battery so no wires are required to try it. Plus the older models are reasonably priced now. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Doug Wis

Was sawing 16' stuff today and having to bring the head all the way back so the scale is right in front of me , I have no problem reading it then. It's with 8' stuff that has to be centered on the mill to use to log dog and turner that give me the problem.  Then the head is 6' to 8' away and hard to see clearly that far. If one could find a tv magnifier like bandmiller suggests would probably do the trick, but then dust might be a problem. Probably will just keep bringing the head  back where I can see it for now. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Thank You Sponsors!