iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37

Started by GRANITEstateMP, April 09, 2017, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

Enjoy the new ride! From what it's looking like so far here in the Northeast, you're going to be spending a lot of time in that truck. :)

Firewood biz down this way is going full bore. Prices per cord have inched up to about a $300 average; more for longer delivery. With the exception of a couple species, the log market is pretty soft right now. The result on the firewood side is that loggers are more than happy to feed the processor guys as much as they want. Log loads are $1000+ around here.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

jimbarry

Log loads here are running way north of $2K.

Corley5

20 cords of 100" is $2,000-$2,200 depending on the supplier. There's a large DNR hardwood sale 3 miles from me that I started getting train loads from Wednesday for $2,000.00. Going to stock up.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jimbarry

Spike60

I guess "load" can mean different things in different areas, huh? :)

Around here, the log loads I'm talking about are 9-10 cord. Prices avg $1200, going up with distance traveled. Local and "who ya know" can still be had for $1000.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

barbender

A typical load here is 12 cords. $100 a cord or so, depending on species. 
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Spike, I think you jinxed me! Got 30+ hrs since Thurs, mostly in that truck.

We have been right around the $300 a cord of green, cut and split, delivered for most of the fall. All new customers were at that price, and come spring it looms like I'll be above that.

Last spring I was around $100-110 a cord for processor type logs. Summer to fall has been $125. Starting next load it'll be $140 a cord. Come to think of it, that's what I used to charge for a cord of pine campwood...

I know I could find log length cheaper, but I have a good relationship with my supplier and when I venture to other outfits, I usually end up with more rejects, or more logs to do by hand. In the end, I'll pay that little more up front and have less waste or easier work.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

drlewis

. got 4 tri axles last week 1100. a load i ordered 10 more before price is higher  try too get another 10 in before march just need more space yard will be full.

dad

I'm jealous of you folks and the prices that you're getting logs for. Where I live (western, central NH ) the prices are running over $200 a log truck cord. Also I was told by a friend with a processor that the loggers who are working around here have or are buying processors and some will not even sell loads at all. I know loads seem really tough to get since this past spring for some reason. All the best to you folks who have it available and cheap. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

drlewis

i am in nh to in candia  i get nice wood for my machine from him i got 15 loads this summer and he was very fair with the price but he did go up a 100.00 a load too cover fuel .buy from another guy who gets tree company wood got about 10 loads from him cheaper but have too pre spilt a lot of it with cone takes longer to get orders out.

Big_eddy

In this area, the loggers usually claim 14-16 cords on a truck. When it's all cut and split, we find it to be closer to 12-13 delivered to customers. Some of the difference is logs versus splits, some is rot and scrap. And some is probably our generosity loading the trailer. We'd much rather be a little over than anything under.

barbender

You'll always lose volume going from logs to cut and split. Logs just don't stack as tightly as cut and split firewood.
Too many irons in the fire

jimbarry

12%. We've calculated time and time again that it take 1.12 cords of logs to make 1 cord (16" long pieces, split and stack to make 128 cu ft). 

With a 16 cord truck of logs, we produce 14.25 cords of split firewood.

GRANITEstateMP

Long winter with way to many 3in snow storms that took 20hrs from start to finish...I have had enough time behind the wheel of a plow truck for a while!

Just getting going on wood stuff, I am a bit behind this year but my main job kinda got the best of me.  I added to the equipment roster, picked up this 20fy conveyor in VT last week.  It's a 2018, but looks brand new

not 100% sure if I'm gonna take the one off the processor and add this, or just use this in conjunction with the splitter when we're doing over sized wood

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

jimbarry

Nice conveyor @GRANITEstateMP 

Our Easy37 sprung a leak last week. Cracks in the hose.

Got a new one made up at a local hydraulic shop. Come to $50 with tax.

Corley5

I've got a conveyor like that. Mine's 24' and hydraulic drive. I got it slightly used in Vermont. Towed it home to N. Michigan. Been a really good machine. I rebuilt the top end a year ago. The bottom needs attention this season. I'm on my second belt. It's loaded a LOT of wood.

GRANITEstateMP

Jim,  I have about $500 worth of tune up parts to put on the Hakki. Mostly factory stuff to replace some worn out parts underneath that do the auto cycling. I need a mild, non rain day to get that together, maybe tomorrow after work?

Corley, I wanted a hydraulic 24ft...but my budget said used 20ft belt drive! Did you flat tow the conveyor from VT home? I stole my brother in laws gooseneck and trailered it from VT to NH, 2.5hrs and I could do hihhway speed, so I was happy. Now the side roads...I was getting near the speed limits on those!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

hedgerow

GranitestateMP   Looks like you found a nice conveyor. I run a old gravel belt conveyor that is hyd drive at the top. Its on eight bolt wheels with 16 inch tires. I flat towed it home five hundred miles and a couple hundred on a interstate. I am lucky to have shed space so I keep it inside. 

Corley5

Flat towed. Put a set of magnetic trailer lights on it, a red flag for good measure, and picked up a spare tire just in case. Pulled great 8)

Spike60

Good to see this thread back up. I had a feeling it was a winter/plowing reason behind it being inactive the last couple months.  :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

GRANITEstateMP

spike, also a little bit lazy too ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

I'm finally getting into gear! Maintenance time for the processor. Got a.few.new parts over the off season, time to put them on.  I forgot to order new belts, and managed to break to armrest on my Kubota, but at least the processor is up and going.

As you can see, it was time for some love.  My machine has no electronics, anything that happens "automatically" has to hit a stop, flip a lever, or trip a hydraulic arm.  So once stuff gets really worn the machine will do some hookie stuff🤔.  I ran a couple short logs through and all was working good, so now I'm gonna confirm that I can get onto a couple lawns before I bury my rig trying, and order belts!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

jimbarry

New parts, sweet :) 

I had to put a new bar on yesterday. Running into that problem again of the bar only wanting to cut 3/4 way through then stalling. Problem solved with the new bar. Then one of the hoses come loose and sprung a leak, lost a couple quarts of fluid. Never a dull moment. :) 

GRANITEstateMP

Jim, I've had the best luck with the heavy husky bars on the processor.  No hose leaks today, but a couple quick connects are.dripping, guess thats one way to keep the fluid fresh!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

jimbarry

Tell me more about these husky bars. The Oregon bars I am using barely make it through 30-40 cords.

Thank You Sponsors!