iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart Attack!

Started by doc henderson, March 07, 2023, 10:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Just said good bye to a grand daughter who is 4th year med student. Today was first day of a 6 week "tour" of duty in Michigan in an ER ortho surgery. Says her understanding is expect 90 hours a week at the hospital. 
When asked about the 90 hours, said it was down from more hours to now the limit of 90. Be there, and ready to go at moment's notice. 

Can understand how that doesn't sound like "retirement" duty for the Doc's, and how important they are to us when we suddenly find ourselves in the ER needing medical attention. So necessary for our comfortable lives. Thanks Doc Henderson. Pray that you get a break soon.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

High energy fractures.  These are called segmental because they have portions of the bone separated into segments from the proximal and distal fragments.  Undoubtedly an open injury.  Needs the OR.  Debridement of the wounds and an IM nail.  Was my wheelhouse as a trauma orthopaedist.  Lots of other bad things can happen here.  Arterial injury, nerve injury, compartment syndrome, infection and possible amputation.  Kinda gets your attention.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

customsawyer

I for one am very thankful for the info that our Docs share. I really like how they can explain it with a crayon, so I can understand it. Having met both of them, I can assure the rest, that they are mighty fine folks in person too.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

Yes Doctorb, we shipped that to a level 1 trauma center.  He was a very responsible 60 something guy, that ran into the back of a stopped dump truck at 60 mph.  the leg was all that was seriously injured, but for scrapes and cuts.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JD Guy

Having had to use the services of the ER departments more than I like to admit I, for one am extremely grateful for y'all's commitment and expertise. We are fortunate that we have a ER Doc that lives down the road from us and he has run interference for us more than once at our local Hospital. May God Bless each and every one of our Doctors and Nurses smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Last week a coworker had a heart attack, not on the job. He had bad chest pains in the morning and went to the local hospital. He was waiting in the local hospital to be taken to Saint John regional 3 hrs south of here. 56 years old. He is a life long smoker.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

Is he OK?  the majority of heart attack victims survive, but for the ones that have a fatal arrhythmia or major vessel blockage, "widow maker".  For some if the cath. or thrombolytics are soon enough, there is minimal or short lived damage.  It can be the best thing for some who then decide to loose weight, control blood pressure and diabetes, and stop smoking.

SwampDonkey

Not sure of his status, have not been in contact for about 2 weeks, when I saw him at work. He had just changed jobs. He's run a clearing saw for years. I'm sure he'll be fine, just not the same. He'll have to make adjustments I'm sure. He's not over weight, and has always worked hard.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Had an update today on my coworker. He had 3 stints put in and doing better, but hasn't his energy back yet.

230Dforme

Good evening

Came across this post, wasn't going to reply, but here goes, may help someone
I'm 64, have life insurance, thought I'd get an additional policy on myself for my wife if needed
Had to get some testing for new policy
Test came back with indicator for heart disease
My father lived till age 92, mother still alive 87
I figured the heck with it, I'm fine

Two weeks later I go to the local health center Monday morning
Doctor knew right away enlarged ascending aorta, was sent to cardiologist same day
If that goes your done right there, no real need to call 911

Surgery scheduled, need dental release first
Go to dentist for cleaning and release
Infection, off to maxiofacial surgeon, 10 teeth out
Infection probably cause of heart issue
Heart surgery rescheduled

Surgery May 23, new aorta section, artificial valve, 12 days in hospital
All is fine

Point of all this is that had I not gone for policy or not gone to health center, would just have been a matter of time

If this post helps even one person it will have been worth sharing
Thankyou

Final comment for background
I am physically fit, owned a union structural steel erecting company and worked
along side my guys, do tree work now in my retirement 😳

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Glad you're ok! Thanks for sharing also!

JJ

Last July my son crashed an electric skateboard at about 30mph, road rash, broken leg, and cracked helmet.
This was result:

The 2 long screws between fibula and tibia were to allow ligaments to regrow.   Doc says they didn't need to be removed.   Now 5 months later he is doing PT exercises in a chair, rotating foot this way and that and when he bend in direction of the break, now he feels like something broke and is back in the foot brace.

I try to get him to go to emergency, not sure maybe one of the long screws broke -but he will not go and is waiting on his next PT appointment.   What could go wrong? should I insist he go, he is 22 years old.
I recall his orthopedist surgeon saying sometime the screws have to be removed by surgery, but most people don't.

How can the bones move properly with what looks like deck screw HW between them?

-JJ

Thanks in advance for any advice from the Doc's

JJ

PT for my son ended up being a doctor's visit.
They say it is likely a tissue tear, which is a setback but should heal with some time.
Will monitor it for next week or so, using the boot in meantime and resting the foot.

He sold his E-skateboard with FAFO lesson learned.

JJ

doc henderson

great.  not much we would do other than an x-ray and tell you to see the ortho doc.  all that takes time to heal, and PT helps you push strength and flexibility without injuring it more or again.  He is young and will hopefully heal up.  Chicks dig scars, or so I am told. :D

Thank You Sponsors!