iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New job pic's (view clearing)

Started by David-L, January 19, 2014, 02:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Coxy, The fire was nice to have that day as it was around 5 Degrees out. the grapple is a Vreten 60/50 with a 5 foot extention and the trailer is a Kesla 9T. They have worked out very well for my business. The pine was about 800bd/ft and the cordwood load was 1.5 cords at 12' wood. I am amazed at what it can lift especially up close to the trailer. the tires on the trailer are 14ply and are real nice and actually go over the road with my tractor well. I would recommend this combo to all but as Ed K said really think out what you will use it for, I would get something a little bigger than what you intend to do as it will pay for itself within a reasonable amount of time. This is a mono-beam trailer , some like them and some don't. it is very simple for me to move the bogie wheel set up back or fwd to adjust tongue weight on this mono-beam set up. If this was my only forestry tool I would get brakes and power to the wheels for sure. The tractor is a Valtra 900 with a Sisu diesel and 95 pony's and is turboed. It is the best cold starting tractor I have ever owned, and made in Finland. I have chains for the tractor if it gets icy and that makes a night and day difference with a loaded trailer for sure. This has been a fun job and wish it was lasting longer, really trying to convince the property owners to thin out the mature timber as there is some really nice hardwood on this acreage.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

Stephen, is that ford a 5030, and what are the specs on your grapple. nice pic's also. The rear mount must come in handy sometimes.

David l

Stephen Alford

David the tractor is a ford 5610.  I use two loaders one is a Nokka 3266 at the wood yard and the one in the pic is a Nokka 2900.  The 2900 was bought in 92  back when I had a sawmill and building stream crossings. The loader was mounted on the rear of the original trailer to place the cants. Also wanted to be able to back up to the trailer and pin it to the tractor.  Built a clam bucket for ditching and loading firewood and sawdust. Even used it to clear snow and break tires. The seat was mounted because I hired out by the hour to load everything from wood, tires, brush and demolition debris. The advent of the hoe with live thumb has diminished most of that work.  My daughters work with me from time to time running the loader and the perch with cab provides  a relatively safe place when I haul in with a twitch.

logon

David-L

Looking good, love to see equipment that has multiple use's in your business. I work alone most of the time and stuff has to be user friendly for the most part. thanks for the pics Stephen.

David l

David-L

Well, one day away from wrapping this up. been a nice project, I wish the owners wanted to open the lane just a bit more but when they are the ones paying the bill what they say goes know matter how much you try to get them to cut more. they wanted the lane tight but see the water unobstructed. Now onto the next job, pine and more pine. pic of pine to cut on next job and the water view of the Quabbin Reservoir.

David

Maine logger88

Looks like some nice pine! That's about the best thing to cut IMO I'm starting on some nice pine next week as well! Where do you send your pine logs and pulp?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

it gets marketed to a trucker who then ships it to Maine and you know where. not many mills left around here and trucking is a killer. He takes everything small, short, long and pulp. Sometimes the prices arn't the best but it all diasapears. by the time you truck it to the distant mills your at the same money as the local guy gives you. I like to buy and deal local if possible.

David l

Maine logger88

Yeh I wasn't sure if there were many mills in Mass or not so the pulp would go to Jay and there is a few options for pine logs and I'm assuming that the irving mill in Dixfield would be the closest log mill either that or RE Lowell in buckfield. I hear you on selling local is the way to go most of my pine logs go to Robbins lumber which is only 10 miles away! The pulp is a little more costly to get hauled Jay is about 2 hours from here
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

Quote from: David-L on January 25, 2014, 10:45:23 PM
Coxy, The fire was nice to have that day as it was around 5 Degrees out. the grapple is a Vreten 60/50 with a 5 foot extention and the trailer is a Kesla 9T. They have worked out very well for my business. The pine was about 800bd/ft and the cordwood load was 1.5 cords at 12' wood. I am amazed at what it can lift especially up close to the trailer. the tires on the trailer are 14ply and are real nice and actually go over the road with my tractor well. I would recommend this combo to all but as Ed K said really think out what you will use it for, I would get something a little bigger than what you intend to do as it will pay for itself within a reasonable amount of time. This is a mono-beam trailer , some like them and some don't. it is very simple for me to move the bogie wheel set up back or fwd to adjust tongue weight on this mono-beam set up. If this was my only forestry tool I would get brakes and power to the wheels for sure. The tractor is a Valtra 900 with a Sisu diesel and 95 pony's and is turboed. It is the best cold starting tractor I have ever owned, and made in Finland. I have chains for the tractor if it gets icy and that makes a night and day difference with a loaded trailer for sure. This has been a fun job and wish it was lasting longer, really trying to convince the property owners to thin out the mature timber as there is some really nice hardwood on this acreage.

David l
sorry david I must have over looked this post thanks for the info if I had 50% flat ground I would by one in a heart beat but only about 15%of the ground I work is flat i use my two little 350s a lot in the summer  one more thing will that go 13 ft to load trailers    again thanks and sorry it took this long to respond

coxy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 08, 2014, 07:08:20 PM
Yeh I wasn't sure if there were many mills in Mass or not so the pulp would go to Jay and there is a few options for pine logs and I'm assuming that the irving mill in Dixfield would be the closest log mill either that or RE Lowell in buckfield. I hear you on selling local is the way to go most of my pine logs go to Robbins lumber which is only 10 miles away! The pulp is a little more costly to get hauled Jay is about 2 hours from here
I like how you guys keep it local every one gets a piece  of the pie ;D

Thank You Sponsors!