iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Burl?

Started by lowpolyjoe, January 20, 2013, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Can a softwood like a pine be considered a burl?   I sawed this up today.  Maybe 'burl' is pushing it, but it's certainly got some character. 

Jay C. White Cloud

I would say yes, as it has caused an abnormality in the natural growth pattern, and that is all a burl is.  Burls can be triggered by pathogens or other stimulus that causes an aberrant growth pattern in the wood. Lets see what the Forester folk say?

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Ianab

Softwoods can certainly form burls. Not sure if that's really a burl, or just some really curly grained wood.

But it's still cool.  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

What's the plan for that? What kind of pine?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

This is that log before it was cut.

Stephen1

Looks very nice!! Now what will you use that for? I love to hear about the ideas. A bench? Put some coat hooks on it and use it as a coat rack?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

lowpolyjoe

I don't know exactly what kind of tree it was.  I guessed it was a pine but if anything has needles i call it a pine :)  I haven't got any identification skills.   Here are some pics of the branches and trunk

The log i cut yesterday was pretty small.  Maybe 8"-10" diameter and 2' long.   No idea what i'm going to do with it.   I started off cutting it thin.  I made 2 pieces about 1/4" thinking maybe i'd use it like some sort of veneer.  Then i thought i might want to us it for a tiny solid wood table top so i cut a thicker piece and my mill wouldn't go much lower.  So, i'm left with the bottom slab of maybe 3" thick.  I should have raised it and cut another piece but it didn't ocurr to me.  Really no idea what i'll do with it.

beenthere

Looks like a white pine.

Are there 5 needles in each bundle?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

Love it! Just like me, looks real interesting lets cut it up! Now what do we do with it? Turn the 3" peice over and cut the bark off the other side, a nice bench at the front door with some logs for legs will look good.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 20, 2013, 11:36:58 AMTurn the 3" peice over and cut the bark off the other side, a nice bench at the front door with some logs for legs will look good.

That's a good idea, i'll keep it in mind.

BeenThere, i'll have to take a closer look at the needles when i get out in the yard later.

Ianab

Looks like curly grain from the tree growing bent out of shape? You can read the grain curl in the bark in the picture of the original log.

I agree they would make cool little benches or side tables.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lowpolyjoe

Yep, 5 needle bundles:

Jeff

White Pine no doubt.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Jeff knows his pines. I have a book put out by the Maine Foresty Dept. It is jsu for the state of Maine.I have no idea if NJ has a book like that or not. I only know the so called slang name of trees. Has help me alot with the correct names and the Latin names too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Thanks guys.  I really should do some reading on identification.  Lots to learn

Thank You Sponsors!