iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664c brake sticking

Started by lshobie, November 13, 2016, 07:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lshobie

Hi guys I just reinstalled the brake caliper on my 664c.  the previous owner had cleaned it up and installed it and when he used it the caliper seized and started a fire.

I rebuilt it and put new pads on it...installed it and it sticks slightly.  if I use the brakes it drags...then I get out and bleed the brake it releases so obviously it is hanging up in the system somewhere.

the previous owner put a new hose in it but I suspect the master is hanging up....its really the only thing left but just wondering what your thoughts are.  is there an adjustment on the master push rod?

it's nice having brakes now so I'd like to get it fixed up. 

thanks

louie
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Oliver05262

It sounds like the push rod in the master cylinder is too long. There should be a spring to return the pedal all the way back, and some free play in the brake pedal linkage. Perhaps a 1/4 "-- just enough to make sure the master cyl piston can return all the way and uncover the port that allows fluid in the line to return to the reservoir. That's called the compensating port. You probably should be able to see a little disturbance in the reservoir when the pedal is released.
If you have all that, then possibly the master cylinder needs a kit put in it too, as the seal on the piston may be swollen up from contamination.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

mills

Had a similar situation on my Cat skidder when first bought it. Brakes didn't stay locked up, but the brakes didn't back completely off either. Never noticed it until I drove it from the first job to the next. Really glad that the previous owner had a fire extinguisher in it. Problem went away when I changed out the master cylinder.

lshobie

Took the master out today - was in very bad shape....not like the PO told me:)  So i ordered a new one and will be in on friday.  Thanks for your help guys!
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Thank You Sponsors!