iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shaper spindle cartridge comparison.

Started by hackberry jake, October 30, 2015, 12:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have been rehabbing an older delta Rockwell HD shaper. I got the spindle cartridge out this morning and was surprised at how small it was. I took a picture of it sitting on my Oliver shaper spindle cartridge.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Just Me

It always cracks me up that they refer to the delta as "Heavy Duty". The 3 1/4 hp PC router is more heavy duty. The short distance between the bearings is the worst part. That looks like a bearing cartridge for my Exmark mower!

I saw a picture on another forum of a PM27 top bearing inside the top bearing of a Martin.

That Oliver is a chunk of iron now! How much does that thing weigh?

Larry

pineywoods

HHhhhmmm, now there's a thought. Been thinking about mounting a shaper spindle on the outfeed table of my planer. Blade spindle off a big mower deck oughta work just fine...Threads probably wrong, but I have a lathe....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

The Oliver weighs a little over 800#. I have the Oliver 285 which was their lightweight "variety" shaper. replacement bearings for the Oliver are over $400 because they are large precision bearings. Replacement bearings for the delta are $30 because they are smaller standard bearings. I have to give it to delta on the cartridge design though. The cartridge is designed to put a small pre-load on the bearings which makes the run-out tolerances much better. The Oliver bearings are also oil-bath instead of sealed. I'm pretty sure the bearings in the Oliver are original. Oil-bath bearings should last a lifetime if properly lubricated. Piney, I will be waiting on the mower cartridge two sided molder in the coming months.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

With the lightweight cartridge and a high speed, even on the low side it is easy to cross the line into risky territory.

Running most standard size tooling I don't think there is a problem.  Its when one tries to bush down a big cutter for an 1 1/4" machine that it becomes a problem.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!