iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massive Yet Tiny

Started by beenthere, September 27, 2006, 04:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but new to me.
The Massive Yet Tiny engine that has a new concept of internal combustion.
Interesting reading and a search brings up a number of hits, of which this is but one (includes a short video of the model).

Massive Yet Tiny link
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

reminds me of a wankle rotary design using a better compression seal and a better method of harnessing the expansion of hot gases.

I like it  8)
remember man that thy are dust.

sawguy21

There have been a number of unique engine designs floated over the years that claim incredible power to weight ratios but never see production. Maybe costs are too high or possibly there is not a large enough market to make them practical.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pineywoods

Nothing new here, I remember seeing articles on this design way back in the 50's. Back then, machining such a device was totally impractical. With todays technology it could be done quite easily. What the designers totally ignore is plain old cooling. All internal combustion engines are heat driven in one form or another. To develop 800 hp requires generating a large amount of heat. If one assumed even 50% efficiency (25 or 30% is more realistic) the difference between 800 hp worth of heat and what would actually be generated would have to go somewhere. Loaded, this machine would melt itself down to a pile of slag in about 15 minutes.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

pineywoods
Did you read about what was said about heat?  Apparently have that covered as well.
Here is another Link   Angel Labs link  that has interesting information about heat output, etc.
Also, apparently proposing this design as a very efficient pump. Most of the testing has been with air pressure in lieu of burning fuel, so an explosion doesn't wipe out their prototype.

Guess time will tell.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodbowl

The heat may be a factor, but I'm also wondering how the pistons will keep from slapping the stops to a point that damage occurs. The video shows the pistons moving from TDC to BDC and back. The push off point has to be somewhere. Since the pistons don't have a rod, it appears that the top and bottem of the pistons are used for that.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

The push off point appears to be where the high compression ratio comes from, as the pistons get real close to each other just before combustion. Did you see the animation video, as it appears to show the linkage to the 'pistons' circleing around the tube, compressing, combusting, exhausting, and inhaleing as they go. I found it pretty fascinating.

I found it interesting that they use high pressure air to simulate the combustion part of the cycle. Wouldn't think that would give any information about the heat caused by combustion, but maybe it is just for the mechanical parts that move and to test the seals and rings.
south central Wisconsin

flip

Reminds me of a design someone had years ago, they called it a virtual crank shaft engine.  Just by looking at the design from the vid. there are to many moving parts.  It looks like there is come type of planetary or reduction system involved.  Like one of the comments on the site said if it was practical or even durable it would be all over the news and in development.  Looks neat but I doubt it would hold up to 800hp my guess maybe 250.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Thank You Sponsors!