iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Striped Maple

Started by jeff, July 14, 2001, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Got my vacation pics!
This should not be to hard, We found one leave specimen that was 13 1/2 inches across! We left it pressed up at the cabin under two side by side books.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

There ya go. Don, do you have Striped Maple in Texas, or did you use your Audubon Handbook?

Anybody know another name for striped maple?

Tom

What is a "striped" maple?

Does the striping in the bark show in the wood too?
Is it ever sawed?

Corley5

I've heard it refered to as moose wood and water maple.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Moose wood is what I was looking for. It is suppose to be an excellant browse plant for moose and deer. I don't know if thats why it is sometimes called moose wood though.

I have seen the small sapplings used in "twig furniture" since it has a unique appearance.

Corley5

I've burned a little as firewood and it works good.  I've never seen one around here, Wolverine Mi., big enough to make a log.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

I asked about the inside of the tree because there are so many surface things that show up internally as strikingly beautiful designs.  There is also pretty figure hidden inside of a piece of wood with no indication that itis there.

I have a piece of Australian Pine around here somewhere that I cut in S. Florida that falls in that catagory and will post it when I locate it and make a photo.

Jeff

Here is a great link with more info on striped maple,moosewood,goosefoot maple,whistlewood,snakebark maple , or whatever else it may be called. I like this little tree!

http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/acepen/index.html

Tom

Thanks.......I'm beginning too.

That was a pretty neat write-up.  They don't know too much about it for it to be so prevalent.  I did find it interesting that it is used for inlay work which puts it in the same catagory as holly which is also a small tree.  

I found it quite interesting that it changes sex fairly readily.  I guess even the plant kingdom has its anomolies. :D  Of course plants can "really" change when animals just simulate it.  That's not as cool as earthworms  though.  They can be both sexes at one time.  8)

SwampDonkey

I've seen Striped maple grow to be 6 inches at dbh in old growth hemlock stands, but generally its an inch at dbh around here. Odell park, in our province's capital has some large specimens amongst the hemlock stand. I've talked to some loggers that have cut it for pulpwood and trucked it along with red maple pulp. Its very shade tolerant.

I also like this tree, I have an area on the woodlot where it is quite prevelant with aspen, maple, ash,fir and spruce. Sometime soon I will be thinning this stand and I intend to leave some of the nicest specimens on site. Now if I can train the moose to leave them alone hehehehe

regards
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

L. Wakefield

We have a lot around, but I haven't honestly looked to see what is the largest specimen on my place. Next trip out..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

bitternut

I have some fairly large specimens in my woods. It seems to grow fairly large along my woods roads. Its actually kind of a pain in the a$$ because it seems to get pretty big and then falls over across the road way. Deer seem to like to rub them every fall. As firewood I don't think its worth the effort to carry out of the woods. Does make a nice light walking stick though. I have one that is about 5 years old with quite a few miles on it.

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't use it as firewood either. But some people have been know to burn alders, so they may burn it. But, I've heard that wood this fine can warp the kitchen stove. Mine is electric, so it won't have much application there.

I like it mainly because of its form and huge leaves. Also, its good to maintain diversity in the tree canopy. I know alot of warbler type birds nest in it because of its branching habits and again those big leaves are nice to repell down pours away from the nest. I've noticed Northern parula, in old growth moist softwood stands beginning to breakup with stripe maple throughout. These birds are also common in upland hardwoods in migrating flocks in spring. For a tiny bird they sure make a big noise, and get a flock of them together and its like your in a petshop surrounded by churping finches. They are blue-grey on the back and head with rust on its chest. Also vireo's can be found nesting in these in hardwood stands. There is one other bird I find quite common in those stands and I have not identified it yet, but it spends alot of time on the forest floor and you'd almost think it was a chicken scratching the ground, it works so feverish at it. Its also a warbler sized bird. I think its a winter wren at this point. And according to Audubon it habits thick tangled woods and spends much of its time on the ground like a field mouse. I only mention these birds because they seem to be in softwood stands with striped maple present in thickets. But, I don't think they require the presence of the plant for nesting.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!