iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got Yellow Poplar and Southern Yellow Pine...Which One, Or Both?

Started by Woodmonkey, April 12, 2016, 07:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodmonkey

I'm planning to build a stick-framed cabin for use as a cook house. It will be 288 sq. ft. interior, and 144 sq. ft. covered porch. Other than a small bathroom with a toilet and sink, the rest of the interior will be an open floor plan. I intend to have a metal roof, but would like to use my own sawn lumber for the rest of the construction.

Other than the metal roof, is there other store-bought material I should use instead of my own air-dried lumber?

Should I use only poplar, only pine, or both? What species is best suited for what? I have way more than enough of either to build the entire structure.

My sawmill will be delivered next week, so I plan to start felling trees tomorrow.
Woodland Mills HM126, Kubota GST 4240 with grapple bucket, Ford 8N, Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw.

WDH

Pine would be the traditional framing lumber choice.  Dries fast, too, just like the poplar. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Use Pine for all of your framing needs and the Poplar for board and batten siding.  You could use a combination of the two for your wall paneling and ceiling. 

Whitewashed T&G Poplar ceiling.

I used my own lumber for this project:  Cabin Addition
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Yeah, I assume you're talking about regular Tulip poplar?  I've heard some people call cottonwood and silver poplar, poplar. 
SYP and poplar are fine for either.

MM, what did you use for "whitewash"? I used Permachink's water based interior white stain with their satin clear finish.  Worked awesome.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Woodmonkey

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 13, 2016, 03:27:59 PM
Yeah, I assume you're talking about regular Tulip poplar?  I've heard some people call cottonwood and silver poplar, poplar. 
SYP and poplar are fine for either.

MM, what did you use for "whitewash"? I used Permachink's water based interior white stain with their satin clear finish.  Worked awesome.

Around here it's commonly referred to as yellow poplar. Other names include tulip tree, American tulip tree, tulip poplar, whitewood, and fiddle tree.

Woodland Mills HM126, Kubota GST 4240 with grapple bucket, Ford 8N, Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw.

Magicman

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 13, 2016, 03:27:59 PMMM, what did you use for "whitewash"?

It was not available in the gallon so I had to buy a couple of quarts.

This is also the whitewash stain that I used on the Cabin Addition walls.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ChrisGermany

Pine for your framing, poplar for your siding. That's what I'd do, anyway. :) If there's plenty of green heart in the boards, they'll last as long as you want. I've seen poplar boards around my neck of the woods nailed up 100+ years ago and still going strong.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Thank You Sponsors!