iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what followed me home

Started by Kcwoodbutcher, January 13, 2015, 02:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcwoodbutcher

I've been looking for a deal on one of these for a few years. The other day I was bored and stuck inside because of the weather so I decided to take a look a craigslist, something I hadn't done in quite a while. Right off the bat I spotted this gem. It was about 50 miles away so I had to wait a day to pick it up. Here it is-

It's a 1956 Dewalt model GE. Five HP 3 phase. It's been partially restored and in good working condition. He got a little happy with the paint and some screws and levers will have to be cleaned up, but other than that everything is fine. Best part was the price $200. Hope it was good for both of us.

My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW! I never knew DeWalt went back that far. I was born in '56.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kcwoodbutcher

I think Dewalt started making saws in 1924. I sold a old model MBF to the founders great grandson a couple of years ago.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats a good buy IMO. I'm impressed with your find. Thanks for sharing.

Delawhere Jack

The lights will dim in your shop when you start it up!  ;) The blade will spin for 4-5 minutes after you shut it off!

sandhills

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 13, 2015, 03:02:00 PM
Do you still clean up that good?   :D :)

Kcwoodbutcher

I know about the blade spinning issue. I'm going to run it through a VFD so I can use an electric brake. Hope it helps.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandhills on January 13, 2015, 03:59:50 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 13, 2015, 03:02:00 PM
Do you still clean up that good?   :D :)

With enough paint.  ;D

Holmes

Nice saw  How big is the blade 12" 14" ?
Think like a farmer.

scgargoyle

Looks like my Dad's old saw that I remember from my childhood. His was smaller, though, running on 120V.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Kcwoodbutcher

As is it will take a 16" blade. You can get a blade guard kit which will allow it to take a 20" blade but you can't rip with it then. I never rip anything on a radial arm saw, too dangerous.

Gadrock

One of the good carpenters around my neck of the woods...way back when had one of these guys. It was dead-eye accurate too. So growing up I wanted one of these badly. Like many people I bought a radial arm saw , when i could afford it, from another name brand, and made a horrible discovery. It was NOT ACCURATE and only consider 90 degree cross-cut once it is tuned up really tight.

Today for most of us low-life carpenter wannabees the portable miter reigns suppreme in accuracy and useability.

Happy for you to get a real gem though.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

hackberry jake

I have an old 1950s dewalt mbf radial arm saw that only takes a 9" blade. I wouldn't trade it for a brand new sliding miter saw. And 16" blades are pretty expensive. I couldn't imagine what a 20" would cost. Speaking of 16" blades. I just got one in the mail yesterday.   :laugh:

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Just Me

I switched from a 16" Delta turret saw to a 14" Omga and I may have a new 16" neg. hook angle blade around. I will look when I get a chance.

Everyone I know that lost parts on a radial arm saw was ripping.........

Kcwoodbutcher

Let me know if you find it, I'd be interested.

hackberry jake

It looks like the saw came with a cheapie dewalt 12" blade. That seems to be pretty common on 16" saws.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Kcwoodbutcher

It's just one he had laying around. I could easily spend more on a blade than I did on the saw.

den

About 3 weeks ago I got a 16", 7 1/2 hp. DeWalt radial arm saw.
http://www.originalsaw.com/woodcutting.html is making them now.
AMF bought the saws " they were probably built like their Harley D.
Then Original Saw bought it.   
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

whitepine2

I have a Walker Turner much like that,also have a WT cabinet
saw and WT jig saw all heavy duty old but nice. Would not sell
for a newer one no sir.

easymoney

i have a saw like that was sold by sears. i see a lot of them at auctions and sales. there was apparently a lot of them sold. i own one that has a 220 volt motor. for some type cuts i prefer them to a chop saw type.

Thank You Sponsors!