iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fast growing shade trees?

Started by Saddlehill Farm, August 19, 2005, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcaretti

I just planted six one year old DED resistant American elms trees last year for shade.  Although I'm a little younger, I still ask myself why I keep planting trees for the next owner. One elm is about six feet (not bad for a three year old), and a most others were pretty stressed last year, so they aren't as tall (3-4 feet).

I do have a few very young tulip popular growing at the end of out gravel driveway, and they look like they are growing fast as well.

SwampDonkey

Elm do seem to grow fairly fast when young, I think they can grow 3 feet a year in good conditions, once established. I have a few butternut planted around from the nuts, they start out very slow it seems. Although, they do grow over 12 inches in the first season of germination. They seem to emerge (germinate) in the driest month, amazing.  Yellow birch do well to if you can keep the deer, moose and rodents away. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie

Like Arthur said, wattles are fast growing, We have some Tasmanian Blackwoods planted too close to the house that we have to cut out--too much shade-- The timber is just like black walnut.  if you prune them to a single stem you get a nice sawlog in a relatively short period of time.  The bees love the small yellow flowers and produce beautiful honey.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Arthur

Ernie

forgot the honey.

we produce what call bush honey.  Has primarily whattle, iron bark and bluegum.  whole stack of others but these produce the most and best nectare.

Tree like tallowood are good for pollen.  Ive been told that eating pollen from bees has two or three times the protein than beef.  Im still looking into this.

arthur

Furby

Elm grows VERY fast.....well the stump sprouts anyways.
Got one over at my Grandma's that I cut down last summer for the ump teenth time and it is now almost 15' tall in one year!

Arthur

Furby

some trees will regrow regardless but I have found from an old guy here that if you fell trees one side of the full moon they day and will not regrow.  On the otherside of the full moon and they will regrow.

Due to the fact that the root system is already established you get a hugh growth rate.

Bluegum from seed will havest in about 30 years.  If cut properly and all but 2 or 3 of the shoots taken off you will have those trucks to harvest size in about half the time.  You do however need to take all off to get the repeat.

Goes back to the old ways of crofting.

arthur

Thank You Sponsors!