iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

That " it ain't over yet boys" was more of a joke than anything else. There does not need to be a winner.  

nativewolf

Quote from: kiko on February 28, 2021, 01:51:43 PM
That " it ain't over yet boys" was more of a joke than anything else. There does not need to be a winner.  
As long as the winner isn't me I find the thread a good read.  
Liking Walnut

barbender

I think I heard many of the stories from when those Ponsses showed up in middle Georgia. One of my favorites was Kirk cutting big hardwood with Jake riding with, Jake said he was getting pretty used to Kirk yelling, "she's coming back, she's coming back!" before a big hardwood landed on the cab!😂😂 He was really hard on light bars that are above the windshield😁
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Ponsse has a dealer now in Alabama and they had a regular crowd of people doing hurricane cleanup work in FL and most recently Louisiana.  Kirk is doing training for Ponsse, pretty busy.  We all miss his brother Bill, passed away too soon but at least it was quick.  Bill was a one of a kind.  
Liking Walnut

barbender

I haven't met Kirk, only heard stories and read the book he wrote. Sounds like a real character😊

Roundhouse

Quote from: mike_belben on February 21, 2021, 05:57:06 AM
Yeah you dont need to know much if you arent making your own hoses and you need to be making a lot of hose to justify that expense.

I cant tell for sure what style without seeing the insides but those are female swivel ends, hopefully just plain old JIC or flat face Oring.  Hose sizes are called in a fractional increment like lumber and its in 16ths of an inch.  So a -16 ("dash sixteen") or "A/N 16"  is 1 inch hose and -4 is 1/4 inch etc.  Make sure if youve got a 4 wire hoses thats what goes back in. Not a 2 wire to save $
I brought it into a parts store here Monday morning and they made up a replacement in about an hour. I couldn't decipher if the markings on the old hose indicate 4 wire or 2. The markings on the old vs. new look to be from two different centuries so I can't tell if they are equal beyond the 3/4 size. FWIW the replacement cost $68, with the below markings:

I went out before dark on Monday and put the new line on. In the cramped space the fittings were a challenge to get lined up and started. After a couple rounds of "try the other end first" I got it on. I put the machine back together and put the oil in. Driving it back to the shed revealed two streams of fresh oil lining the snow as I went. Once parked I slid a sled under the machine to catch as much of that new $80 worth of oil as possible. 
When I had time to reflect on the situation I realized the two streams were probably due to oil running off both sides of the skid plate and not likely due to two bad connections. Yesterday I got it out of the shed and onto cribbing, not under it's own power since the oil was out again, pulled by the truck. Took the machine apart again and to my dismay/relief the pump side connection was very loose. I must have been in a hurry and not tripple checked my work. Once I had it properly torqued, no drip. This time I did a couple cycles of adding oil, starting, and watching the connections before hiding them under the seat, battery etc. again.
A big relief to have it back in working order, and just in time. Last night brought a couple inches of heavy wet snow that the old CL340 made quick work of, and no drips!
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

nativewolf

Quote from: barbender on February 28, 2021, 03:28:10 PM
I haven't met Kirk, only heard stories and read the book he wrote. Sounds like a real character😊
Kirk is a character but his brother was a force.  Green Beret, got kicked out of HS for being trouble (son of a doctor ...not from a bad family), went overseas, studied art and got his degree in art after fighting, traveled in france, went back into forestry, did quite well for a logger.  They tried CTL before it was ready for large southern hardwoods, then got a bear with the HDH8 head and that made a difference and away they went.  Bill knew the timber markets as well as any logger I've met and was using the CTL heads ability to precisely measure and cut grade logs in a way that I have hopes of doing.  
Liking Walnut

kiko

Roundhouse, that is a 2 wire hose( the new one).  Probably the only way to tell what the old was would be to cut it and count the wraps.

Roundhouse

Quote from: kiko on February 28, 2021, 06:16:09 PM
Roundhouse, that is a 2 wire hose( the new one).  Probably the only way to tell what the old was would be to cut it and count the wraps.
Thanks! I don't know what normally determines that 4 wire hose is needed but I'm optimistic this one will do the trick. The machine is mid-sized at best and not high-flow AFAIK. The hose is fully protected inside the frame of the machine and doesn't flex at all only runs from one fixed point to another. 
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

barbender

NW, I'm glad you got to go down and meet I'm and see the operation before he passed away. Sounds like a really interesting guy.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

more pressure takes more wire to hold it inside the hose. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

There's a lot of 4 wire on processors not only because of the pressure, but also the abuse they take. Takes longer to pop😊

Don P

Yesterday about 4pm I lost the left side drive on the skidsteer, of course down in the basement, too low to lift the hood. We had both been running jackhammers all day, apparently barely on the outskirts of the hubs of hell, so decided it was a good end to the day. This morning we brought toolboxes and chains and with it not at all aligned to the exit ramp, after bumping into just about everything possible got it drug out into daylight. Master link on the drive chain had broken so $1.25 of parts and by lunchtime we were running again. I made 2 passes scooping up rocks and dirt and am heading up the ramp out of the basement when my partner hollers "You're trailing oil!" Yup, no belly pan on and I rolled a rock up into the line from the pump to one of the drive motors. By the time we got it off, new hose made and back on it was a little after 5, well we got 10 minutes in today  :D.

mike_belben

I think we all have those days.  My skidsteer has given me many of them this year.  It is parked until i can muster a suitable firing squad and sufficient explosive materials to never hear from that thing again.
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Split one of my tractors in half to do a clutch, once apart notice the PTO thru shaft splines were worn enough to replace. So we pulled the cab and then split off the transmission. Also replaced the brake seals and rebuilt the master while it was apart. Just got it all back together and cab back on a little after 11pm tonight, shut the cab door to call it quits for the night and the windshield explodes. Just when I was thinking everything went smoothly....

barbender

Hydraulic hoses are just part of the game with logging equipment, but man I hate it when my windows get sprayed😡

Walnut Beast

The way you know how to run that machine something has to slow you down sometimes 😂

Walnut Beast

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on March 13, 2021, 12:22:11 AM
Split one of my tractors in half to do a clutch, once apart notice the PTO thru shaft splines were worn enough to replace. So we pulled the cab and then split off the transmission. Also replaced the brake seals and rebuilt the master while it was apart. Just got it all back together and cab back on a little after 11pm tonight, shut the cab door to call it quits for the night and the windshield explodes. Just when I was thinking everything went smoothly....

Nice job!! Wow! Sorry to hear about the windshield. I bet you couldn't believe it 🙄

Tacotodd

I'd like to know if you tracked down what caused it.

Regardless, the windshield sounds 🤬
Trying harder everyday.

chevytaHOE5674

No idea what caused it. Good news is I have a parts cab out in a snowbank with good glass. Just have to remove and reinstall without shattering it. Luckily they are old-school and use a rubber weatherstripping like a pickup back window.

Satamax

I love the look without a cab. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Tacotodd

Just jimmy you some milk crates for a seat and you're ready to roll  :D  ;D
Trying harder everyday.

newoodguy78

Yesterday's project,pulled the engine  out of our 2-135 White 

That old Hercules is heavy!!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!