iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new member with a question

Started by tcg, May 19, 2013, 06:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

losttheplot

You could try setting your log with the starting end higher then the finish end.
If your chain is set up right, a 395 in soft wood will require very little pushing.

As the chain gets filed down the angle between the cutting edge of the tooth and the top of the raker changes.
I found a progressive raker gauge, such as a Carlton file o plate gave me better results.
Fine sawdust and a sharp chain = high rakers.

I purchased the cheap Oregon grinder, I use it every now and again to get all the cutters back to the same length.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

tcg

Good Evening All,

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner to your suggestions. I have not had an opportunity to try them. We had a line of duty death in our volunteer EMS department while responding to another emergency. He was a friend and Swiftwater teammate of mine. I will be back on the mill as soon as possible. I truly appreciate all the interest in helping me solve my problem.

Thank-you,
Tom

thecfarm

Sorry to hear of your friend's passing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcg

Good Evening All,

I finally had time today to try your suggestions to remedy the washboard appearance of my milled lumber.
Yeah, Thank-you,Thank-you, Thank-you, no more washboard.
Ended up with good looking lumber.

1)  I used a caliper to check all the cutters to be sure they were sharpened to the same length.

2) Used a feeler gauge to check the rakers were all lowered to.035.

3) Replace my bar that had a bend in it with Woodland pro form Baileys.

4) Also purchased Will Malloff book (thanks Jay for the suggestion). What a wealth of information particularly the section on chains.

I can now get back to my project of sawing the siding for my barn. A new neighbor of mine purchased a cottage across the street from me. In the process of tearing down
the place to build a new home they had almost all the trees cut down. Many of them large White Pine and Norway Spruce. I ended up with 70+ logs of varying lengths.

So I truly appreciate all your help.

Tom 

Thank You Sponsors!