iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a sawmill shack. I think.

Started by tburch, August 03, 2015, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tburch

I just bought a nice used Peterson 10" WPF mill last week.  I've got it home and shoehorned it into the barn for now, until I get some time later this month to mess with it.  Hi/Lo track system, 30' of track, and a clip on slabber. 

And DARN if I haven't already misplaced the key to the 24 HP Honda GX670.   (Very upset with myself).

Anyway, I've been thinking about a home for it.  I live on just over 6 acres in a lightly restricted acreage community.  I have a 30' x 40' barn, and was thinking of setting up along the 40' length of the barn.   

My thinking is that I would like to be able to lock the center unit up, out of sight, when not in use, which, in the big scheme of things, will be most of the time, since this is a hobby for me. 

My first thought was I would like a concrete pad to stand and work on (all weather).  And, my working platform could also double to provide a hard surface to catch sawdust/shavings, to keep my place looking clean, and also to have enough room to drive my trailer up beside the mill to unload logs and load boards. 

Here's my first cut at this idea.   I marked one end the "operator end".  Standing at the operator end, I would push the saw towards the saw shack for horizontal cuts and then pull back for the vertical cuts.

When I finish sawing for the day, I would push the center unit into the shack and lock it up.   In the drawing, I show angle iron set into the concrete to roll the unit on (lo/lo) instead of using the factory rails.  I would use the tracks when I need to be portable away from the house.

Do you have any suggestions or advice on this type of set up?

Thanks, Todd

Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Percy

I saw a Peterson with a setup pretty much the same as your drawing on Haida Gwaii a few years ago. Looked like it worked well. You can store your supplies in there and even eat your lunch under cover if necessary.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beenthere

Will it work ok with both tracks "low" ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tburch

I guess you are referring to "low" as in "nearer to the ground than the factory rails allow it to be" low.   

I suppose so, but I would imagine that with a log not on bunks, swinging it 90 degrees that close to the ground might get dicy if I wasn't paying attention.  A while back, I chatted briefly with a guy from Arkansas that has his tracks set in concrete like this.  I'll have to talk to him again about this aspect.  I'm thinking there is a sweet spot that one would not want to go below to make sure there is sufficient clearance throughout the course of a swing. 
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Lewisman

My only thought is the same as I tell my two young boys, always do the right thing.  If your zoning doesn't allow for a sawmill, set it up somewhere else.  Sure, that's a huge hassle but not as big a hassle as being discovered.  Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

mclean

It's a hobby mill, no zoning should be able to restrict wood working..  This isn't china.

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

red

I have seen guys use horse trailers to transport swing mill center sections
It is low to ground and easy to get mill inside

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!