iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor size & type

Started by jrokusek, March 08, 2005, 03:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

Like I said a few posts ago....I'm building a sawmill.  I'm just a woodworker who's trying to make his own lumber, no plans to go large or commercial.  I've found a few Tecumseh 10HP horizontal shaft engines for about $200 (model HM100).  The ones I found look like they were designed to work with a water pump or a generator.  The price is right but I'm wondering if they're so cheap because of the tapered crankshaft.   Can I slip a pulley on the small end and run it?  My very limited knowledge of pulleys and gears tells me that they typically shouldn't be put at the very end of the shaft unless it's absolutely necessary.  Think it'll work OK or am I asking for problems?  See picture below. - Jim -

Dan_Shade

if they run good, you could always start them and hold an angle grinder against the shaft to make it one diameter so the pulley stay on there.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jason_WI

I believe that MSC, and grainger sell tapered sheaves.  www.msc-direct.com

I wouldn't take an angle grinder to it unless it's your last option. Take the crank out and have it turned down on a lathe would be a better option.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

tnlogger

jim you can buy tapered pulleys or an adapter for it.
Tecumseh would work for what your planning they are just a little on the light side for a sawmill.
try http://www.surpluscenter.com they might have a pulley the size you need.
gene

Furby

Mine is an 11 horse Honda.
Yes it's light, but it does cut.

jrokusek

I checked Grainger and the tapered pulley's/sheaves appear to be 2 part sheaves.  The center of the sheave itself may have a taper to it.  The small adapter or insert that slips on the shaft then is attached to the sheave.   It looks like they were all designed to fit on straight shafts.  It's possible I'm reading the catalog wrong, however.  We do have a Grainger store in Sioux Falls, SD so I might just take the picture down there and see if someone can set me straight. 

I did find one adapter at http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005030909565897&item=1-1970&catname=
I sent 'em an e-mail to see what it is supposed to fit since the item number they list is no longer available.  I'm hoping it's somewhat universal.    I was hoping not to take the crank out and have it turned.  I REALLY hate taking these little engines apart.  Actually apart is fun, putting back together = not fun.  Probably would defeat my cost savings if I had to do that.   Thanks for all the responses!  I'll let you all know what I find out.

Jim

Tom_Averwater

Looks like it is a replacement engine for a generator or similar setup. The bearings might not handle the stress of a belt and pulley. Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

jrokusek

Man do I love this place!   I finally went to the Tecumseh website and found that it actually has a bushing on the shaft side.....not a bearing.  I think that little engine would have caused me major problems in the long run.  I'll keep searching.  Thanks Tom!

In case anyone is interested, here's the spec's:  http://www.tecumsehpower.com/frameset.php?page=/Products/specs.php?std=73|opt=72

Jim

Quote from: Tom_Averwater on March 09, 2005, 01:17:50 PM
Looks like it is a replacement engine for a generator or similar setup. The bearings might not handle the stress of a belt and pulley. Tom

Doc

Two problems with that tapered shaft.
1) you turn it down and it shears off when you load it a good one and the belt doesn't slip (I hope you plan on building a belt gaurd)
2) you mount a sheave ont he narrow end of that shaft and it shears off (again, I hope you buiolt a belt gaurd)

In either instance see the notes after, adn bring a fresh pair of FOTL if you do either with or without a gaurd. I can assure you the experience will certainly ruin your shorts, and your day at the least.

Get the adapter, and run the pulley as close as is allowable to the base of the shaft.

Check with surplus center, adn look at the engines they have. You may find something of more suitable shaft size and horsepower.

Doc

Thank You Sponsors!