iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding Another Kiln and Pouring the Insulated Pad (Video)

Started by 123maxbars, August 02, 2020, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have decided to add a bigger kiln to the sawmill. I have been running the L53 with no issues but have always wanted  a bigger one for longer stock. I am getting the L200 from Nyle and a chamber with it also, not sure if anyone on here has that chamber yet, they said it's pretty new to their line up.  Last week me and my concrete guy formed and poured the insulated pad for the chamber. Nyle specified a pad at 10ft deep and 19ft wide. We went over a few inches and it turned out pretty good so far even in this hot TN summer heat. Spent the next few days keeping it watered down.  I am sure there are lots of ways to insulate a pad for a kiln but this is what I came up with,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxCQXSpdyig&feature=youtu.be
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

Fantastic Nathan!  You are going to be set up nice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

boonesyard

Sounds excellent! Can't wait to see the pics as it happens. Glad to see business warrants the expansion. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Walnut Beast

Looks great. Nice video. The new Nyle chamber is it in kit form or built already. What's the cost, made out of and the R factor. 

samandothers

Nice job!  I look forward to the rest of your build.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

flatrock58

Nathan.  You keep adding stuff it is going to look like Jake's place pretty soon!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on August 03, 2020, 02:58:39 AM
Looks great. Nice video. The new Nyle chamber is it in kit form or built already. What's the cost, made out of and the R factor.
K-Guy can you give any insight on this

K-Guy

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

scsmith42

Very nice video and congratulations on the new addition!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mossy Chariot

Hey Nathan, 
If you keep adding equipment you may have to turn the cameras off and get to work  :D :D :D

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

stihlsawer

Good job Nathan and enjoy watching your and other sayers' successes!! 

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This is awesome and certainly done correctly.  You can dry my lumber, as it is obvious you know what you are doing and are very careful.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

rjwoelk

Just wondering about the insulation underneath the pad not coming to the edge of the insulated footing. The thought behind it   ???
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Dry soil is an excellent insulator.  So,this is really good if drainage is away from the slab.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

farmfromkansas

rjw, the gap around the edge of the slab is the footing.  Really like that bull float. You still need some dirt around the edge of your slab, don't want mice and rats to get to your foam.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

rjwoelk

Here in the north I would have put insulation vertically as well at the bottom of the primiter to act like a form. That way you have a complete brake between cold and warm side. I understand he does not have 35 below weather.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!