iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solubor treatment

Started by jrkimroxie, July 12, 2012, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrkimroxie

Treating SYP 6"x12"x20' cants with solubor boron. Is it feasable to mix large quantities in a vat and dip the cants in overnight, insuring total coverage/treatment. If so, how often would the solubor solution need to be refreshed or replaced ? Building a wood vat with a removable cover to prevent rain water from diluting the mix. Any ideas/suggestions welcome.  ???
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

WDH

There may be better stuff on the market for mixing large vats of lumber dipping solution.  I am not sure what the commercial mill's use.  Maybe someone on here will know.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdonovan

If the can't is treated fresh off the mill, you should get sufficient penetration with the existing products available.

I've heard that fresh-green the solubor can be mixed with water, and will move into the cants fairly easily. Older/dry timbers may need a glycol mix to ensure enough wet time to get penetration.

Are you having problems with the way you are currently treating timbers and getting pest infestations?

jrkimroxie

The cants that I am wanting to treat are for my log home. I have all my cants cut & stacked to air dry with 1"x 2" stickers. Now I am starting to see bugs in the cants and my other stacked lumber. All SYP.
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

jdonovan

sounds like you might need a dip-type tank. I probably would not soak them for more than a few hours. Being submerged should get liquid to the bottom of the insect tunnels. A heated tank should help lower the viscosity of the solution, as well as open the wood up some all of which would help aid penetration.

Thinking back to my firefighting days about some of the wetting agents we used. They were fairly amazing at cutting the surface tension of water. They allowed us to put water on things and have much of it soak in vs. run off.  Class a foam if you want to do some searching on it.

Thank You Sponsors!