iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chilli Harvest Time Again.

Started by Ianab, April 12, 2020, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Got some jalapenos.

And some Habanero, Scotch Bonnet and Chiltepin. 

The sneezing and watering eyes aren't Covid, just how you know you have added the right amount of habanero to your tomato sauce mix.  :D ;D

Most of the jalapeno are ending up pickled. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

8) Bring it on! I love spice as long as it does not overpower the food, it shuld enhance the flavors not mask them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 12, 2020, 08:41:17 PMI love spice as long as it does not overpower the food, it shuld enhance the flavors not mask them.

Yup, hence a big pot of tomato, apple and onion, with 8 habanero to give it some zing. I can make crazy hot sauces too, but they aren't really enjoyable to eat. Ones like this the family can splash on a hot-dog or taco, and enjoy it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Your season is ending and mine's about to begin!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Looks like a mouth-watering bunch of flavor there Ian!

Would you share your recipe for canning the Jalapeno's?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kantuckid

I love peppers but Habaneros and other extreme peppers are not my thing as IMO they mask flavor when they kill yer taste buds.
Our way to enjoy jalepeno's is not canned but frozen and made into stuffed jalapenos peppers.
These are the healthy version not the deep fried type.
We cut them in half, clean out seeds and membrane (that's the heat) then dip quickly in boiling water to blanch, lay halves on wax paper covered cookie sheet and lightly salt the inner side.
Meanwhile, mix an 8oz pkg of softened cream cheese with browned pork sausage (use however much you like browned with minced onion and touch of garlic) along with 6-8oz of shredded cheese. We use cheddar or fiesta cheeses. We add some chili powder to taste along with S&P.
Stuff the halves with a teaspoon and freeze on cookie sheet then bag for later use. Easily prepared in a toaster oven as a part of a Mexican meal. We use homemade pepper jell on ours-recipes in the pectin box.
The best peppers for this purpose are sold at Walmart-the jumbo type seen often these days.
They are easier to clean & stuff and milder scoville ratings than the atomic bomb peppers seen from NZ-which are also seen here in USA often too.
A great pepper to can for a garnish appetizer is the sweet cherry peppers. They come in hot and sweet and are very prolific! Similar to grape tomatoes they really produce. If you want to try them Fresh Market stores sell them in their deli-aisle with olives buffet. 
We grow a large garden each year and prefer freezer storage to canning exception is tomatoes.
Google is your friend for recipes! Cookbooks have become relics of the past to some degree.
I suspect there's a gillion pickled jalapeno's recipes online? No need to post one really unless you have something unusual to share?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ianab

Quote from: Chuck White on April 14, 2020, 08:06:33 AMWould you share your recipe for canning the Jalapeno's?

Basically I do a mix like this with vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring it all to the boil, throw in the sliced jalapenos to blanch them, then into screw top jars while it's hot. Spices are optional, but I usually throw in some garlic. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221961/quick-pickled-jalapeno-rings/

Last of the jalapenos, bhut jolokias and habaneros picked today. Had some frosts and that knocks the really hot varieties around even in the greenhouse. Still have some of the hardier varieties with fruit ripening, and some roccotto plants are still flowering... 

We make the jalapeno poppers too, similar to Kantuckid's recipe, but I use fine chopped bacon mixed into the cheese. I've sorted out the biggest ones for a batch of those tonight, and the other assorted small / late / ripe ones can go for pickling. The mix of green and red in white vinegar looks quite appealing in the jar, and just the thing to spice up a sandwich etc. 

Chuck White

Thanks for posting the recipe IAN!

Sounds/looks very tasty!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Texas Ranger

jalapenos stuffed with crab mix and deep fried, um  um um
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

tule peak timber

Ian, your recipe is very similar to the sauce I make called nouc mam. Your harvest looks terrific, while my pepper starts are just going into the ground today. Hope I have as much luck as you !

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!