iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perogis on the griddle.

Started by Raider Bill, July 14, 2020, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Fried up some of my homemade Italian sausage with onions and a dozen store bought perogis on the griddle. Slather them up with a "little" sour cream. DELISH!
Sorry for the glare the sun was bouncing off the stainless steel top.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

I really like Italian sausage but not a fan of perogys although they are very popular here in the Canadian west. A lot of descendants of eastern European settlers. Have had some homemade ones that were pretty good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

I love perogies with fried kielbasa and onions topped with sour cream and fresh green onions. Did I mention that I like love onions?  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

Coming from this area I can see why. ;D Kielbasa with onions is REALLY good.

Corley5

Love perogis.  My MIL is 100% Polish.  Her's are authentic. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

Quote from: Corley5 on July 14, 2020, 01:51:28 PM
Love perogis.  My MIL is 100% Polish.  Her's are authentic.
I used to get the good homemade ones but I lost my connection. Nothing like them.

Walnut Beast

Corley5

Mashed potatoes and cheese, mashed potatoes onions and mushrooms, a combination with Polish sausage, etc.  All good.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Walnut Beast

Skip

Like em filled with sauerkraut and onion, fried in butter . :)

Raider Bill

All the above. My connection made some with prunes. Now wait I know what you are thinking but DanG they were DELISH!
They sell some in the store. The most popular is Mrs T's I think the name is. Publix has another brand which I can't think of right now but they are better.

K-Guy

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 15, 2020, 08:36:44 AMMy connection made some with prunes.

Well they may not be regular ones but they will keep you regular!! :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

My grandmother was 100% Ukrainian.  We must have made 10s of thousands of them when i was a kid.  We would make 500 in a day and freeze them.  In Ukrainian it is pyrohy.  I made some at the firehouse a couple weeks ago for dinner.  Boil them first and saute in butter and serve with sour cream.  We make them with potato, onion, cheese.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raider Bill

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on July 16, 2020, 01:45:21 PM
My grandmother was 100% Ukrainian.  We must have made 10s of thousands of them when i was a kid.  We would make 500 in a day and freeze them.  In Ukrainian it is pyrohy.  I made some at the firehouse a couple weeks ago for dinner.  Boil them first and saute in butter and serve with sour cream.  We make them with potato, onion, cheese.
My connection was an older Ukrainian lady that spoke in very broken English. Her husband spoke none.
I could hardly understand her but when she called all I needed was "you come my house, eat" I'd be out the door!
Always sent me home with 50-100 perogis and pounds of galumkis.

Man could she cook.
Galumkis [I know I butchered the spelling] cabbage rolls soaked in tomato sauce was another great dish she made me.
Up north the Ukrainian church had a sale ever week of all their old world cooking.

Skip

The Ukrainian Church in town used to sell them every fri. Gonna have to check if they still do, got me wanting some .  ;)

firefighter ontheside

Galumki is the Polish version of the Ukrainian holubtsi.  As a kid I did not appreciate the holubtsi, but I like them as an adult.  We have made them too, but not as often as pyrohy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

I really like them! Another favorite is beet borscht, there are as many ways to make it as there are people making it. A Polish lady I knew made it as a clear yellowish colored broth with no vegetables, it was absolutely delicious.

Thank You Sponsors!