iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lazy tomato sauce

Started by mike_belben, September 08, 2020, 12:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Most of my tomatoes look like crap.  Flies dont even want them.   Well i didnt bust my hump all summer to make gourmet compost and none of us were wanting to eat very many of them.  

So heres the recipe.  Big pot on the left, compost pot on the right.  Knife in one hand mater in the other. Cut out all the ugly, throw salvage mater in pot.  Fill with water, boil.   strain maters then put back in pot.  

Chop in onion, pepper, garlic and whatever other garden junk you dont want to waste but dont really want to eat.  Splash in olive oil, scoop in a spoon or two of salt, spoon or two sugar, some pepper and a pile of your favorite spices, whatever ya got.  Now a cup or two of water.  Then hit it with your handy dandy immersion blender.  No peeling, no seeding, just mash it up.  Now go back on stove to simmer for an hour or two, stirring occasionally.  Eat a few spoonfuls tonight to feel like your garden serves a purpose, then put it all in tupperware to fridge or freeze for later.

So point is maters can look like crap and still taste like heaven.

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

sounds good.  We have tomatoes, but a ton of hot peppers.  any ideas there?  I am thinking of dehydration and or canning salsa or hot sauce.  as well some bell peppers we may freeze
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on September 08, 2020, 02:52:44 PMa ton of hot peppers.  any ideas there?

All of the above. :D

I make a tomato / chilli sauce similar to Mike's. It also has apple which gives it a bit more thickness, tomato alone tends to end up pretty runny. Just add suitable chillies to suit your tastes. 3 Ghost chillies in the pot gives it a bit of a kick. Throw some bell peppers in the mix too if you want... 

Chillies can also be frozen. Free flow them so you can grab a couple out as needed for cooking. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

I dice extra bell peppers then freeze the diced peppers in a ziploc freezer bag.  Easy to pull bag out of freezer and grab a handful for those meatballs or spaghetti sauce, especially when the glaciers slide down from the North.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Sorry doc, i dont do the spicy. 
Praise The Lord

ESFted

Hot Peppers? Some Jalapenos get pickled, some frozen, some (red and green) get diced and made into Cowboy Candy, but most of the red ones get apple wood smoked and are then dehydrated, creating chipotle peppers. Once dehydrated, some get a ride in the coffee grinder for sprinkling over anything needing a chipotle flavor, while the rest get vacuum packed in a canning jar for future use. When I can Atomic Frog Balls (pickled brussel sprouts), a chipotle goes in each jar for a nice smoky spicy flavor. Oh..and don't forget the Atomic Buffalo Turds!

This year's ghost peppers and red Serrano peppers went into the dehydrator too, but only because I didn't have enough to ferment for hot sauce ...fermenting opens up a whole new world of options.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

sawguy21

Fermented peppers sound really interesting, tell us more. ;D Karen would roast Roma tomatoes with onion and garlic then freeze them, really added flavor to pasta sauce or chili.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

I think I will smoke some.  make some spread, and or sauce.  @ESFted sounds like you got skills too.  lots of great ideas.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

K-Guy

Years ago when my parents had too many tomatoes, they made their own tomato juice and canned it. My dad swore it was better than anything you can buy.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

The store bought stuff has too many preservatives and salt, I won't buy it. Right now I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with, what doesn't get eaten fresh are cut up, bagged and frozen.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kantuckid

Quote from: doc henderson on September 08, 2020, 02:52:44 PM
sounds good.  We have tomatoes, but a ton of hot peppers.  any ideas there?  I am thinking of dehydration and or canning salsa or hot sauce.  as well some bell peppers we may freeze
We freeze peppers for cooking. Dice or strips for stir fry, place on wax paper covered cookie sheets which absorb moisture and aid in bagging them and to keep clumping to a minimum. 
Jalepenos we split end to end, seed and membrane removed then parboil, place on wax paper cookie sheet, fill with a mixture of cream cheese, saute onion & pork sausage, mix with Fiesta shredded cheese, S&P and fill peppers. Freeze for late use as a side dish from toaster oven & served with pepper jelly made from peppers per the pectin pkg recipe. 
We make tomato sauce and home made catchup from the ugly maters. Our recipe for catsup is in Better Hommes & Gardens Cookbook. Uses lots of maters and cooks for hours but far better than the store stuff! periodically we make chile sauce too which is also far from what you buy!
Our "sweet pickle relish" recipe(oldtime recipe) also calls for peppers and actually is much better than the ground up pickles you buy at the store, peppers, cabbage, onions, celery and zero pickles in it. 
Our chow/chow has peppers in it-we choose the red ones to color it up as theres only a few in it. 
I would not call our tomato sauce lazy if you start with seeds and end up with food? :D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

split and hollow an aja dolce pepper, fill with cream cheese and a dollop of hot pepper jelly and I'll eat the plate. The dehydrator did a bunch of peppers, the house had that drying pepper smell for a couple of weeks.

Michelle has a Victorio strainer for processing tomatoes, that speeds up things. Friends have electric ones, I think the Cabella's is the favorite, there's a Waring that requires earmuffs and a bad attitude :D.

Thank You Sponsors!