iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live Oak:  Is it a Red or a White Oak?

Started by Curly_Woods, September 17, 2002, 07:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Well DanG,

I hope you won't take offense at me saying this,  but if you don't mind me saying so,  I know I ain't the smartest guy around ( as has been recently inferred on another thread), but doesn't it seem rather ill-advised to be chopping wood in the DARK? ???
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

True, true, Noble. But I ain't the brightest bulb in tha string, neither, so I've done it. :D :D :D
When you're trying to get outta da woods on a tractor wit no lights, and a log is in da way, ya does whatcha gotta do. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

Quotedoesn't it seem rather ill-advised to be chopping wood in the DARK?

Now this is solid proof indicating if 'n you hang around this forum long enough ...you're going to learn something of value.  
;D

DanG

So, ya learned that me and Noble ain't too smart? ??? :D

If y'all think chopping in the dark is ill-advised, ya should see some of the other things I've done in the dark. :o  Come to think of it, choppin' wood may be one of the safest things I ever done in the dark. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

beenthere

Dang
Do you really get enough 'sparks' to light your way???
Guess that depends on how fast you chop - in the dark - without tractor lights - with a log in the way. Worse yet if the log was live oak, which is probably dead if its laying in the way. Okay, I will back off.
 ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Live Oak is very suseptible to oak wilt, which attacks primarily red oak, so I guess that lends to the red oak side. I always thought it was white. Seems to be pretty rot resistant which leans toward white. All I know is that it is the hardest stuff I ever tried to saw. LeeB :P
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Squirrell_Boy

Howdy LeeB, Do you happen to have any pictures of Live Oak? I 'd like to see some both quartersawn and flatsawn and maybe making some sparks, but not on fire.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

LeeB

guess I'm gonna haf ta do sumpin about this picture download stuff. Don't have the software to do it just yet. Least wise I don,t think I do. LeeB :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Stan

Can somebody SHOW ME where this Missouri is on the official map?  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Bro. Noble

Heck yes Stan,

It's good to welcome new guys that are interested in learning stuff.

If you punch the place above where it says members map,  you get the official forestry forum members map.  Next find the highest place in hiwaaee.  Missouri is the third state on top of that.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

RedHawkRidge

Does live oak have leaves with rounded lobes or pointed lobes?  My understanding has been that a key differentiator is that reds have pointed lobes while whites have rounded lobes.
jim

DanG

Welcome, Redhawk!  Live oak leaves don't have any lobes, at all. They're just this lil' ol' oval thingy, about 3" long by 1" wide. Live oak appears, to the casual observer, to be non-deciduous, because the leaves hang on through the winter, all nice and green, then fall off just as the new leaves are coming on. They are only naked for a day or two, and the new leaves cover them right back up.
I couldn't really put them in a red or white category, as I said in an earlier post. In fact, the only thing I know of that makes them an oak at all, is the acorns they produce.

RedHawkRidge

DanG:
Thanks for the welcome.
I used to think there were 2 types of oak:  not red or white, but live or dead.  Then I started to travel and visited Austin Tx occasionally, where there's lots of live oak, including the "treaty oak".  It was just hanging on, somewhere between live and dead, after some idiot/religous freak decided it needed to be killed with massive doses of herbicide.
Anyway, I never had the opportunity to examine details like leaf structure etc of the Live Oak species, other than the simple overview that it appeared to be a groteseque version of white oaks that commonly grow in pastures here in Wis.
jim

Thank You Sponsors!