iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a dump trailer ?

Started by Dale Hatfield, March 06, 2009, 07:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Hatfield

I have found a PTO drive pickup dump bed. That I want to make a trailer out of. At this time I think a trailer would be more useful than mounting it on my trucks. I would lose the use of GN Hitch.
Several questions.
what would be  the best source of power to drive pump /what HP motor??
Could I just use the dump  sub frame as the mounting point for trailer axels?
What weight axle should I use?
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

stonebroke

Surplus center has 12 volt hyd. units. Put on as heavy axles as you can cause eventually you will want to haul some gravel.

Stonebroke

isawlogs

The sub frame aint strong enough to use as a trailer frame . It will twist in no time , build or get a frame to sit it on . I have seen a few 10 tp 13 horse Honda gas engins running a pump for lowbeds , maybe yopu can hook a small gas engin to your pump and see .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dale Hatfield

I guess I need to figure out what  PTO speed would be and get motor based on that. wont need a 12 hyd pack as it has pump and cyl under the bed. Just need to spin the PTO shaft to make it  work.
Chainsaw Carver

ely

my friends dad once had a 1960's model 4wd pickup that had a pto shaft sticking out the rear bumper. looked just like a tractor. i seen him pulling a drag type brush hog with it one time. worked pretty sweet.

jbeat

Dale, Some cement mixer motors have a geared down shaft which may be adaptable for your application.
John B

Ironwood

Unless you will ALWAYS being dragging it w/ a truck w/ a pump and wet lines to the rear, use a self powered 12volt unit. Put an extra battery with it in the tongue of the trailer. I built a unit last year from a M-105 trailer bed. I stripped off the body and built a whole new frame and utilized all the componts from the old frame so it looked factory military and comes complete w/ name plate serial # and 6000 gvw. I found an 8 bolt  drop torsion axle from an chipper, so to keep it low to the ground for ease of loading w/ my JD 755 tractor and FEL . I think this week I will need to get it painted and wired for lights.  The black bed is a duece bed (sissor lift in the rear of the bed) that i had thought of building w/ a tandem axle, but in reality the single axle unit I already built should haul everything I need. The final picture shows the full size 20" tires originally on the M-105 BIG!!!.  Trailers are cheap to own compared to vehicals (notice the tandem axle flat bed behind the black duece bed, those axles were to be for the duece project)

The M-105's are CHEAP from GovLiquidation ($200-300) come w/ sales reciept (for title) and you cant beat a solid military spec bed. I love that stuff!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dale Hatfield

either I dont get it or yall dont get me. The pump and cylinder are under the bed.I just need to hook up a 5 horse  gas motor or so to make the bed go up and down.   Am i thinking wrong? The pump hooked to PTO side of Pickup truck transmission. Which cant be very High rpm? a Tractor is what 540?
Great looking trailers Reed. Im running out of room to park em  but got to have them.
Chainsaw Carver

Ironwood

OHHH I get it. I recently saw one of those on a REALLY old truck, the pump IS the cylinder. In other words it is integrated right into the end of the dump cylinder. Many folks may have never seen one of those (I never had and I am a junk junkie ;D). I made a mental note since it was so unique to my previous experience.

No idea what it would take to make'r go, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

stonebroke

You might have to make a jackshaft and some v belts to get it right. I think I would just hook it up to a pto shaft and see what happens.

ksu_chainsaw

On my 1953 Dodge the pump is similar to what you are describing- there is a shaft running back to the pump- which is built into the cylinder and hoist mechanism.  I know that it does not spin very fast at all- it is run from the pto on the transmission of the truck.  A small gas enginge, geared down- would work, and then you could hook it up to any vehicle.  If you are only going to pull it behind one truck, a shaft from the PTO output on the transmission would work, but it would be hard to control the speed that it goes up at- since you have to engage the shaft, then pull the lever to go up , then push on the throttle- especially when there is a heavy load on the bed.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!