iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Jackson lumber harvester

Started by bandmiller2, May 25, 2009, 06:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Have any of you sawyers ever run a portable Jackson circle saw ,the handset one where the sawyer rides on the carriage.??Are they handy to use,and dog the logs??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chico

I sawn on several Jacksons their good mills I've never sawn on the carriage you ride But they are usually pretty good equip if taken care of JMO
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ron Wenrich

I've run their portable hydraulic mills for a good number of years.  I know Frick used to have mills that you would ride and pull the sets from the carriage side.  But those things went out before WWII.  They were for really big timber. 

I've always liked the Jackson mills.  They were always pretty easy to fix if they went down.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chico

Ron I think you're right the old mill I learned on was built in 1898 and was refurb'ed in like 1941 or something and that's when they took the sawyer off .I learned to saw on a Filer and Stowell that the blocksetter rode I was 15   learning how on a 12" gun with that big ol 9' mill . I felt sorry for that old guy more than once but if I my old man didn't hear that gun pop he was a coming and I just as  soon him stay out in the mill.They put auto setworks on it in late 70. What a trip to saw on
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

dail_h

AHHHHH, Sotguns,now there's a real sound of sawmilling
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bandmiller2

Reason I asked ,went to look at an old jackson in the woods that has lain fallow for many years.Must have been one of their first mills judging from the vintage of the tires and wheels.Welded into the frame "owned and leased by jackson lumber harvester" the owner said he bought it used from New York city of all places and had it shipped.It looked almost home built,and would be a challenge to rebuild.Powered by a 371 detroit which I didn't see, was down by the barn.Haven't given up on it yet ,fella wants too much for its condition,owner is a fine old guy and very sharp for almost 90.Frank C.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank ive only ever seen a couple off pics of a Jackson manual rider carriage and that was on an old arcived story about the first mill they sent to poland or russa on a webpage i saw afew years ago Mate  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chico

Be nice to get something like that if you could and build it for exhibitions .That is an odd place to find a mill though
Chico

bandmiller2

I was thinking of a portable unit,and the old Jacksons were very portable,end folds up with many leveling jacks.A fella I knew in Maine used one portable to make his living.He had the 471 Detroit diesel mounted on a one ton flatbed that he towed the mill with and long flat belt drive.Those mills used manilla rope to run the carriage over drums, old Herb used to put a little drain oil on it if it was grabby.Frank C.

Fla._Deadheader

Are y'all, by any chance, talking about one of these ???

Ed and I got tired just watching these guys ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

bandmiller2

FDH,yea that looks like the critter.With a good crew,good power and decent logs they would really put out for their size.Sawdust removal was done with a screw auger mounted under the headsaw with a chain with small cleats at one end.Sawdust would build up and move out from under the mill.Never realized its set up right for PTO,but you scratch you head figuring the hand of the mill.I better be carefull or I'll talk myself into anouther DanG mill.Frank C.

KPT

I used this saw 32 years ago to build a barn and then it sat idle in the western Washington rain. Wanting to cut lumber for a new wood shop I recently worked on the saw for about two days getting everything free and working. The effort was mostly a hammer, used motor oil, wrenches and a couple of wood strips for the carriage brake. The saw has 90% original bearings as well as the original set clutches. I spent a few more days making modifications for a tractor power take off. I contrived an emergency kill device and today I run this saw by myself with reasonable ease. I can't imagine any modern machine taking 32 years of abuse and still being functional. The saw uses 2 lengths of manilla rope on capstans with a single tension lever (forward-reverse) and you ride the carriage. This saw is so simplistic in use and design its criminal. When snooping on the Web I was dumb founded to see that Jackson L.H. was still in business. If I ever need a part they might even have it. For my hobby use this saw is great but if your timber is valuable the 3/8 curf is wastefull. I have pictures but haven't been able to load them. Take a hard look at that saw.
KPT
KPT

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum KPT.  smiley happysmiley
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KPT

I managed to get several photos into My Gallery.
KPT

bandmiller2

Welcome KPTtheir quite a mill for their size and one of a few really portable circular mills.Do you find it awkward to bend over and dog and turn the logs I kinda forget how its done.That old mill has paid its dues and should spend the rest of its days under a shed roof.Thanks for the pictures got a kick out of your flak screen.Frank C.

Tripp

Nice to see another old mill is back in action. I enjoyed the pics.

Welcome to the forum.

Tripp

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the forum KPT  ;) ;D 8) 8) Nice looking mill you have there pretty strait too  ;) you might havta give er a coat of jam tho  ;) to match that flash lookn green thing you have there Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

I reckon id get sick off going back and forward on the carriage allday tho  ;) but then again  ???  :-\ i seem to go round in circles quite often tho mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

KPT

Turn and dog was a lot easier when I was 32. Being able to belly over the safety bar helps get leverage for turning and setting the front dog. I have to turn around and step back to set the back dog. Nothing about my operation is high production. I think I will complain to Jackson L.H about their paint not holding up! I'm more worried about the rest of my years so I will let the next guy paint and cover. In the mean time I will enjoy my new Plug & Play feature (PTO). My tractor is 40 HP and logs over 18 inches are a strain but sizes under this work ok for me. I'll try a few more pictures.
KPT

bandmiller2

How do you figure the hand of this mill,is she right or left??Frank C.

KPT

I'm not familiar with the term and assume that it means right or left handed operator? This being the case the mill would be left handed. I'm extremely right handed and uncomfortable with most left handed functions. Setting the bunks toward the saw and levering the forward/reverse movement must be done with the left hand. I have never given it much thought so it can't be too much out of the ordinary for me.
KPT

Chico

IT means which side  the carriage is on from the saw as in if the carriage move left to right to feed it's a left handed mill if it moves right to left it's a right handed mill this is with the sawyer facing the tracks
Chico

KPT

Thanks for the clarification. I can see your description if the operator is OFF of the carriage but in this case the operator rides the carriage. From the operators standpoint the travel is only forward or back. Maybe the answer is neither!
KPT

Chico

It will still be the same that why I specifed with the sawyer facing the carriage  :)
Chico

KPT

Faceing the carriage from where the logs are loaded it would be left handed.
My mill appears newer than Fla-Deadheader's. The inscription on the carriage is "R-MB No 458" MFD Brewton ALA. Does anybody know if this is a model number, serial number, construction date, or combinations there of? Any other history would be appreciated.
KPT

Ron Wenrich

I checked my Jackson log turner.  They have the date and the model welded onto the frame.  The old Jackson carriage had their name and Wisconsin plant.  I don't recall if it had the model number and date on there. 

They still make a RMBH-30 and RMBH-40 models in their portable mills.  So, my guess is that its the model number.  They're still in business, and you can give them a buzz.

http://www.jacksonlbrharvester.com/
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!