iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CDN Thanksgiving?

Started by Tom, October 13, 2003, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Tobacco Plug

Canadian, maybe.  I know that theirs is a different date than ours.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

SasquatchMan

That's right.  It's thanksgiving when it should be.  After mid-October we can't get out of our houses cause there's 10 feet of snow, so we have our celebrations a bit early.  Christmas is the day after Halloween, which is tomorrow.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Tom

Cool!  I guess that lets you have a bunch of them a year. :D

What's the history to Canadian Thanksgiving?

SasquatchMan

I have no idea what the actual history is... you have to think that basically Canadian and American culture/history is pretty similar until you got guys got uppity and we kicked your ass in that war.  But that's a long time ago!   I assume that it's just the same sort of thing, a sort of remembrance of a supposed historic event, but really, if we've got the day wrong, what the hell?  Typically Canadian, if we find an excuse to cook an animal and get drunk, we'll take it.  I'm thankful for this big cup of beer, and all this gravy...

Tom

Here is what I found.

In 1957, Parliament announced that on the second Monday in October that Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest.

"Lo' I wish every night was a Saturday night and every day a Sunday.  I know I been wrong but I want to do it one more time." :)   ...Brother Dave

SasquatchMan

Well there ya go!  If Parliament says I should be thankful, then gosh golly, I better be thankful!  

Tom

Paul_H

Hey,they are playing The Maple Leaf Forever!

Well at least til fall ;D I tried to find out the history of Thanksgiving in Canada,and quit after I found 3 sites with 3 different versions.So I have to guess that we are copying the US version,only have it earlier so that it looks like we thought of it first.Same with our Dominion day,it's on July 1st compared to July 4th in the US, only ours was about 90 years later.

We had a 24# Turkey last night,and shared it with my parents and my niece,who drove up from Squamish.Lots of leftovers for the next while,and Carla has a huge pot of soup boiling on the stove.

I'm hungry again.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Kevin

Thanks for asking Tom,
Yes it's Thanksgiving and I can't begin to tell you all how much it hurt me to gobble gobble up that turkey and pumpkin pie knowing full well you folks to the South are doing without tonight.
So much food and so little table space!
Anyway your turn is coming and I'm grateful for what I have including our close relationship with our friends to the south.
Now if I can only make it to the couch.
 :P

Jeff

Happy Thanksgiving Buddy. And to all the rest of the great white north. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I 'spose that was not politicaly correct...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Actually, Kevin, we do without a lot less than you might think.  All year we practice so that we can handle the "big" table full on the holidays :D

It's the leftover's that make a dinner like that so special.  coming back a couple of hours later when the "pangs of hunger" again attack to make a cold turkey sandwich with mayo, salt, pepper and cranberry sauce.  Another spoonful of dressing from the bird is good too.  Man-n-n-n-n-n, I can hardly wait.  Y'all have my taste buds slapping the top of my mouth. :D :D

Kevin

...and the gravy ooo0000hhh the gravy!

Paul_H

I just had a toasted turkey sandwich smothered in hot gravy and melted cheddar,with a pickle on the side.Had Pumkin pie covered in whipped cream for breakfast.More of the same tomorrow.

I think we might be having leftover turkey tonight.

Tom

a-h-h-h-h Man-n-n-n-n-n-n?

This is torture :'(

Paul_H

Hold on a little longer Tom,just around a month away for you.I know that by Wednesday,I won't want to even think about Turkey,until Christmas. :-X

Tom

I'll bet you had Maple syrup on the table too, eh?  (practicing my Canadian) :D

Down here we put Cane syrup on our Baked sweet potatoes for desert. ;D

Paul_H

No maple syrup,but it sounds like a good idea for Christmas.We had a bottle of that around here,and right after supper I would have a couple of big tablespoons,then a glass of cold milk.Good stuff!

You are doing well with your Canadian,I can't even detect a bit of a Floridian accent. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I celebrated CDN Thanksgiving last evening wit some friends that migrated south. Man did she cook a great bird, I got to do the carving.

I realy enjoyed it because I spend each Thanksgiving in deer camp.

WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Percy

I had TWO thanksgiving dinners,one on Sunday and one on Monday. Was great.....now I got more gas then Iraq ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Mark M

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!