Upgraded my Fetching arch

Started by sprucebunny, September 01, 2011, 05:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

My arch came with 1/2 inch steel cable that was supposed to wrap around a 2" hub. All it was was a big spring waiting to cause trouble. It really frustrated me.

I've broken several ATV winches so I had a length of synthetic line. I went on the web and learned how to splice the line. I had to figure out how to attach the bitter end of the new line to the winch hub.

This should be much easier to deal with. Yes, I will miss being able to push the cable under a log. I'll have to use chains, now. But not having that cable do it's spring act on me will be worth it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

fishpharmer

Well ain't that clever. 8)    I share your frustration with big cables on small winch hubs.  The never want to work right.   Is the black material a protective cover over the synthetic cable?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

isawlogs

Nice job there Joan, looks like you have a winning combination going now. 

Fisdh, she mentioned to me that she was going to get some heat shrink tube to put over the line as to help protect it.

When is the testing day  ???    8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

Once I learned how to do a 'locked' splice, I would have only needed the heat shrink tubing for abrasion. It's expensive so I saved it. The covering is tubular nylon. I found a roll at the dump  ;D

Went out yesterday and loaded the rope on the winch under tension then dragged a couple logs home. I can't believe that I struggled with the cable all this time  ::) :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

John Mc

I wonder if LogRite will adopt your idea and offer it as an option? It might not be for everyone... some applications are just too abrasive, but it seems it would be just the ticket for a lot of folks, especially with smaller arches.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tam-i-am

When we bought the design from Future Forestry we upgraded the winch.  We switched manufacturers and went with a winch with a bigger drum to help with this problem.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper