iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

English walnut trees      

Started by Left_Coast_Rich, January 16, 2004, 02:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left_Coast_Rich

I have access to a walnut orchard that is being taken out by its owner.  some of these trees are about 20" dbh. and have sound wood  My question is the wood of these english walnut trees any good for lumberother than  bowl turning.
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

beenthere

Could you post some pictures of the logs? Have you seen any of the wood from the logs when opened up? Or a cross-section of a log that has a fresh cut?  Any use for, or market for, wood in your area that you are familiar with?  Do you have to take all the trees available or can you just take what you want? Any firewood markets available to you? Any pictures of the bowls turned from this wood?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

Rich your in the money Bro! You have got a real gold mine if you are getting these cheap or free...there is a real demand for this for everything from high end furniture to gun stocks congrats.....Take a look at this !!!

http://www.sarasotarockers.com/TheStoryofanEnglishWalnutC/23.html

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DR_Buck

:o

Look at page 22  of the February 2004 issue of Fine Woodworking.  One BIG English Walnut, over 6000 BD foot, some selling for $100 BD foot.

Dining room set made fron the tree valued over $40,000.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SawInIt CA

Rich they need to be close to 36" to make gunstocks of get fiddle back. The smaller ones do make great lumber though.

The other left coast walnut sawyer

beenthere

Are you meaning 36" in diameter?  or length of bolt?  Or does fiddleback not occur in these english walnut bolts until the growth reaches 36" diameter? Can you fill us in a bit as it sounds from your handle you may have the answers. :)

Rich's logs were 20" dbh but seems sawing out gunstock blanks might work, if avoiding the pith center. Keeping the blanks stable after inletting to a gun action and barrel might be a trick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D._Frederick

Rich,

I see that you are from california, so I suppose that the walnut trees you have are not to different from what we have. The english walnut that we have is a very white colored wood that has about the same hardness as local pine. It sure is not like walnut that is grown in eastern US. It is not a wood that I would use to make furniture out of. The biggest tree that I have cut are no larger than 18-20inches, so maybe the large trees you have have different gain pattern.

Thank You Sponsors!