iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mr. Scott and Mr. Wenrich

Started by Carson-saws, July 13, 2016, 09:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carson-saws

Gentlemen...was curious as to your feeling on the MSU Forestry program and also your feeling on the Oak wilt on the west side of Michigan. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Ron Wenrich

Can't help you out too much with the MSU program.  I would think that any program that is accredited would be a good one.  But, I would go to one that is in the area you plan to work in.  MSU would probably be geared more to hardwoods and mixed pine than something from the West Coast.

We had oak wilt go through here (PA) about 35-40 years ago.  The state made an attempt to stem the advance, but it didn't seem to do much.  We hardly hear about it anymore. 

Gypsy moth came in right after that and caused a lot more damage.  PA didn't do much to stop the advance of gypsy moth other than to spray around populated areas.  The theory was the moth was going to be stopped by the Susquehanna river because of the wide expanse.  It jumped across that.  Instead of pouring money in it for spray, they did some wasp releases that preyed on the moth larvae.  That helped, but the moth has run it's course and the populations have collapsed.  We still get pockets of moth, but it isn't anywhere as bad as it was back in the '70s.  It is also easier to control and mortality levels are a lot lower. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

I assume you mean Michigan State University. It is a great forestry school, well recognized as is Michigan Technological University. Both are SAF credited.

Oak wilt is a rapid killer of northern red oak in western Michigan and all precautions need to be taken to control its spread, especially the cutting of northern red oak during the period of May - September.
~Ron

Carson-saws

Thank you for your insite.  Mr. Scott...I understand the May - September...but can you elaborate?  I am thinking you it may enlighten and inform members that MIGHT not know why.

Ron Scott

The warm months May-July, but extended to September to be on the safe side is the period when the picnic beetle is most active and transfers the fungus from an oak tree infected with oak wilt to other healthy oak trees which may have encountered an open wound from recent pruning, storm damage, timber harvesting. etc.

http://treedoctor.msu.edu/oakwilt/
~Ron

Carson-saws

Can't the Picnic Beetle detect the fresh cuts and such from quite a distance away?

Ron Scott

~Ron

Carson-saws

Thank you Gents.  I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  Seems for me anyway,  the more you learn...the more you want to learn.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Carson-saws

Thank you Mr. Scott.  Moving relative quickly and the impact seems to be a real threat.  I hope this does not come close to equaling or surpassing EAB.

Thank You Sponsors!