iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 271 vs Husky 450/353?

Started by John Mc, January 04, 2015, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Is the Stihl 271 more similar in construction to the Husky 450 or the 353?  I know the specs, I'm more interested in the durability & construction details.  I'm not too familiar with the Stihl lineup in this range, but I'm guessing it's closer to the 450 ??
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

celliott

You got it John, the 450. Both plastic clamshell style saws. Nothing inherently wrong with the clamshell saws, but the mag cased, cylinder on top design is more rugged and durable.

Of the three, I would definitely take the 353. All the same parts as a 346xp except the piston and cylinder, which can bolt right on.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SawTroll

I agree - and the MS271 definately is the heavyweight among those 3 saws - even more so that the MS270 was.
Information collector.

John Mc

Yeah, I've got a Jonsered 2152, which is the sister saw to the 353. It's been a nice saw for me (mine is stock, other than replace the muffler with a non-cat version).

I was looking in to this for a friend who was considering an MS271. I thought the 271 was as Chris described, but wasn't sure. I thought the 271 and 450 were similar, other than the weight difference.

I'd forgotten that the 353 has been discontinued. I guess the current equivalent of the 353 would be the 545. I'll have to discuss with him whether his usage warrants stepping up to a 545 or a MS261.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

celliott

I've heard the 545 is a heck of a saw, along with the 555. Pro constructed saw with a touch less power, at attractive prices compared to the XP variants. To me, that would be an easy sell to a firewood cutter over a 455 rancher or MS291, but that's just me. They sell alot of those saws.
The clamshell saws have cut ALOT of wood. Keep a sharp chain and properly mixed fuel and they would last most users many years. But there is always the desire for bigger, better, faster  :D Even when we don't need it  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

John Mc

Yeah, it's a no-brainer for me as well. I'd go for the better construction and pay the extra in a heartbeat, even though I don't make a living with my saws... but everyone has their own ideas of what price/performance/weight and durability mix works best for them.

rburg

The 545/2252 is a very good 50cc firewood saw. I run an 18"bar on mine. It doesn't have the rev boost of the 550 and not quite as much power, but I don't believe a firewood cutter would notice the difference.

strongsaw

The 353 is still available in the US, but it is a Redmax G5300. Same saw, just a different label, made in Sweden.

John Mc

I haven't seen any Redmax saws in my area. How does the price compare to, say a 545?

SawTroll

Quote from: strongsaw on January 10, 2015, 05:14:01 AM
The 353 is still available in the US, but it is a Redmax G5300. Same saw, just a different label, made in Sweden.

Basically true, but there are a few exterior changes, in addition to the color.  :)
Information collector.

strongsaw

I have seen G5300 prices $410 - 490 with freight paid from online dealers. Haven't checked any local dealers. Husqvarna web sight SRP is right at $500 for 545. Specs for 545 and 353 are very similar. I have a G5300, bought it used, and in very good condition. Haven't used it a lot yet, but I can see I am going to like it more than my Stihl 271. Now that I think about it, I have several 50cc class saws I like better than  the 271, my Echo 520, Efco 152 Shindiawa 488. The 271 runs OK, but a little heavy, and I just like the other saws better.

Thank You Sponsors!