iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first post, questions about repairs and maintenance on older WM LT20

Started by Ruben, April 29, 2013, 01:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruben

Hello everyone, first post!

I'm from southern WA and inherited an old LT20 TR (~1986) some time ago. It is still functional and I've moved about a dozen logs through it since, but it is suffering from years of deferred maintenance.  I've been fixing one thing at a time by trial and error as it comes up. I don't have any sort of manual for it and I haven't had much luck finding any official information online on this older machine. I am hoping that some of you fine folk here might be able to help me out with some of my questions.

I'm still relatively new to milling and I might not use the proper terminology, but I hope you can follow along. I also welcome any pointers for good resources for DIY maintenance and repairs on older Woodmizer mills and links to helpful threads on the forum.

Currently I am trying to align the blade guide wheels and would like to know:

• is there a standard step by step procedure for this?
  • how to best ensure even blade distance from the bed?
  • at what angle should the guide wheels meet the blade?
  • how much distance should there be between the back rim of the guide wheel and the back of the blade?
  • what kind of lubricant should I apply through the different grease fittings on my mill?
Here's a link to an album with some pictures of the mill and the parts in question.

Let me know if there is any important question that I should be asking, or if there is a better place to ask those questions. I really appreciate any information you can give me and hope to become a more active member of this community as my machine becomes more reliable :)

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.
If you have been reading the forum for any length of time, you likely have come across many threads that have to do with the WM mills.
For sure, these threads will give you good direction on getting your mill up to snuff.

I'd also urge you to contact WM directily on their 800 #, as well as a PM to the WM link to the left column, and to the Board in the Index that is a good WM contact.

Don't think you will be floundering around without a manual for long, or at least something as good as a manual. :)

Enjoyed the pics. :)  That mill you have is a great prize, and congrats for being able to possess the same. Its history will be very interesting, if you care to share.

Really look forward to seeing you get the ol' WM perking away again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Ruben,

she's a dandy machine!!
As beenthere indicated call WM, they will set you up and have that machine sawing in no time 8)

DGDrls

slider

Welcome Rubin,Beenthere is correct contact woodmizer and come up with a manual .I find myself going back to my manual quiet a bit. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress .al
al glenn

slider

Rubin on your pictures of the band wheels ,I hope you have the covers for them.You don't want to be around when a band breaks without them.
al glenn

thecfarm

I will add a picture here for you.

Welcome to the forum. Have your serial number ready when you call WM.
I wonder how many of those mills are still around? Logrite has some nice cant dogs or peavey to turn the logs with. Sponsor on the left.
You said inherited. Was you around this mill before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello Ruben, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

That is a fine sawmill and is worthy of receiving your TLC.  The ends of those blade guides appear to be quite worn and if so, proper alignment will be difficult.  There are measurements to determine their wear and if replacement is needed.  A call to WM is in order because detailing the alignment of each component would be lengthy and difficult without the proper manual.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ruben!

Your mill looks to be in really good shape.

I'm sure once you get the info and get it properly aligned it'll be cutting like a new one!

Good luck and happy sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum. 

The LT20 on an LT30 frame is a new one on me!   Looks like the granddad of the LT70 and great-grandad of the LT28 and LT35. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ruben

Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone!

Looks like I'm going to have to have a phone date with the WM people. Maybe they still have some old manuals in their corporate archive   :P

The machine is definitely worthy of my TLC :) I "inherited" it in a non-conventional sense. A few years ago I joined a rural "back to the land" community with a focus on sustainable living. Longe before my time here, in the 90's the community acquired this sawmill at an auction and used it to cut their own lumber for their own construction projects. Wood is a readily available resource for us: we live on well forested land with lots of ponderosa pine, douglas fir, and oregon white oak.

The community member that was the primary sawyer and de-facto steward of the mill passed away quite some time ago. In recent years the saw has only seen occasional use, and has just been waiting for someone new to take a real interest in it. Apparently that someone is me :) As the new steward of the mill I "inherited" it from the previous steward, respectively his understudy. I'm learning how to sharpen blades, stack and cure cut lumber, do small engine repairs, maneuvering logs using peaveys , chains, come-a-longs. It's been quite the adventure.

Again, thank you all for your support. I'll let you know how things progress!

Ruben

Ianab

Quote from: Ruben on April 29, 2013, 05:35:57 PM
Just got off the phone with WM, manual is in the mail ;D

Woodmizer pride themselves in being willing to support their older products, even if you get them 2nd hand etc

It's one of their big selling points and the main reason the mills hold their value so well. You can call them up for help with a 20 year old used mill, and they can help you.

Of course they have an ulterior motive. When you do want a new mill, who you gonna call?  ;) :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawingisfun22

woahhhhhhhh amazing!!! I have the exact same WM LT20 sitting in my yard now. aluminum head rig and trailer package! cool stuff. sad to see mine wasn't a one and only though :(
LT40HDD40, grapple truck, homemade bowl lathe, and stihl 88.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

We like pics, and to hear about the WM LT20. Must be a story about it that you can tell.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

schakey

Hello Ruben and Sawingisfun22  smiley_wavy and welcome. Please keep us updated on your mills and sawing. Old iron is great!
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sawingisfun22.  20 minutes prior to this post you were asking about a '97, LT40SH.  LINK  Maybe you need some more production??  What are your sawing plans??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

sawingisfun22,welcome to the forum. Not a WM guy,but sounds like you have a rare mill there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawingisfun22

Well my sawing plans are to expand to cutting faster because the 11hp briggs on the LT 20 is extremly under powered. As for the LT40 super im looking at is honestly to much for me. But at the right price it would last me for as long as i would use it.
LT40HDD40, grapple truck, homemade bowl lathe, and stihl 88.

medic472

Cool, I'm really excited to see I have a resource to reference for my newsed WM LT20.  I have the exact same set up as Reuben.  It was in very poor shape but I have cut some planks with it already.  

I love old machines that are still functional.  I'll get some pics together and post them later.  The story on how I obtained it is pretty interesting too.  

I'm a newby at all of this but I'm having more fun than an EAB in and ash forest (too soon?).

Randy

firefighter ontheside

I just came across someone selling an LT20 locally.  It is the originial aluminum frame.  He's asking $4200 for it and says it works great.  If nothing else, I'd like to go take a look at it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

That could be interesting. The frame looks pretty much the same as what is made today for the 35. Price seems reasonable also, especially today. Good Luck!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Smallmill

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 08, 2022, 08:10:48 AM
I just came across someone selling an LT20 locally.  It is the originial aluminum frame.  He's asking $4200 for it and says it works great.  If nothing else, I'd like to go take a look at it.
Shoulda bought it

Thank You Sponsors!