iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody else finding mushrooms?

Started by strunk57, April 21, 2013, 10:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

Good day in the woods, found 28 nice whites. Still slow around KY as for mushrooms, hopefully next couple days will "pop" them up.

Anybody else finding any Mushrooms?
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Compensation

I found 4 ticks but no mushrooms

Now if we could figure out how to make them grow in sawdust.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Mountain State Farm

Nice wack of shrooms Strunk57.  8)  digin1

I found a small patch today but they were not all the way up. I'll go back in a few days.
That sawdust bug bit me in the ...

strunk57

Thanks mountain state farm, I found a couple today that i should have let grow, but turkeys are so bad on my paps place i was afraid to let them grow, everywhere i found a couple the ground would be tore up all around it, so i was thinking the turkeys got the rest of them before i got there.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

giant splinter

I thought the best place to pick mushrooms was at the supermarket. ;D
roll with it

Mountain State Farm

Just about every animal in the woods like them here. I usually find them first part of April but I guess the long winter has held them back a few weeks. Enjoy.

Splinter, you won't find these at Wally-World.

giant splinter

roll with it

Satamax

Hey guys!

How do you call thoses morchelle types in the US?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

47sawdust

When I was a kid back in So. Illinois we had a  morel sniffin' dog.Once, my family and I found a burlap bag full of morels.It was crazy,almost like an Easter egg hunt.Since moving to Vermont it's a different story.
I drool every time I turn on the FF,dang that Jeff.
Sauteed morels and fresh bluegill,I better go have breakfast before I faint.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bandmiller2

Used to pick alot of honey mushrooms that would grow on rotting oak stumps.Such a deal cut the log and the stump rewards you for years. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

wesdor

It is still too cold around here!  Lows in the upper 20s or 30s and highs too often in the 40s. Good thing is that with all the rain we should have a better chance of a good shroom year.

Many if us expect to go from winter to summer overnight,  sure hope to find lots this year.

Those pictures make my mouth water.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: strunk57 on April 21, 2013, 11:02:59 PM
Thanks mountain state farm, I found a couple today that i should have let grow, but turkeys are so bad on my paps place i was afraid to let them grow, everywhere i found a couple the ground would be tore up all around it, so i was thinking the turkeys got the rest of them before i got there.

Probably not a big deal to pick them, as some will always be missed, and most of the organism lives below ground as mycelium. The mushroom is only the fruiting body for releasing spores to start new ones in favorable locations.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Autocar

Hey theres the problem Mesquite Buckeye [ favorable locations ] there far and few between  :D
Bill

mesquite buckeye

I hear stories of morels up in the mountains around here, but have yet to see one. :'(

We used to find lots of them in Ohio, especially around dead elms. Also they are supposed to do well in old apple orchards. There are quite a bit of them at the farm in MO, both in scattered patches with no discernable reason and under dead elms. You can usually count on finding them under a dead elm within a couple years of them dying and for a few years after that. Wish I was back there right now.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Autocar

Elms around here is just about a thing of the past,about five years ago the ones that were 6/10 inches died and I made a killing for a few years . But sence theres just not many here anymore. Iam wondering if all the dead white ash maybe we will get a run on them again  ;D.
Bill

strunk57

Every one of these were found under dying elms, I went back to the same trees today to see if i missed any and found 12 more, with one prob 6" tall dont know how i missed that one but i did. Anyway i found 5 that were really small and since i have a couple days worth i figured i would let them grow for a couple days, so a stack the deak elm bark around all four of them and put wet leaves over them with just the top of the mushroom showing, hopefully nothing gets them, i plan on going back thursday to check on them.

On a side note i prob walked 5 miles below and above where i found these and found NOTHING, the trees i were finding these under were very distinctm a dark bare elm tree still standing strong, i looked around and under several dead elms the fell and found nothing, looked pretty much in every supposed "hot spot" and still yet nothing, i dont know if its just the ground in my one honey hole but no where else on the 120 acres is producing

SwampDonkey

:D :D We have all kinds of mushrooms, but too early. But I have no idea about what you can eat. I know the jays sack lots in the fall and hide them in the fir trees. The chipmunks hide them in hollow trees. And a lot grow out of trees like aspen, which are conks, but not good for eat'n.

You fellas have probably learned from family and friends. Pickers of 'shrooms are rare up here. Up here we are too busy picking fiddle heads for $12/lb *organic* landed in Toronto  (I still laugh over that one) in the spring and tipping fir bows in the fall $0.40/lb.  ;D Must of us don't sell fiddle heads, we just eat'm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

francismilker

I'm finding very few this year but it's due to drought.  The only ones I'm finding are a little dried up before I pick them.  If we could get a slow steady rain and then have some 70+ temps for a day or two I'd clean up.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Mountain State Farm

We don't have many Elm trees here but I find them around Poplar trees and rotting Apple stumps.

Eight inch cast iron, butter, two fresh bluegill, six shrooms, three eggs, cheese.  digin_2

strunk57

swampdonkey, Fiddleheads are everywhere on paps farm, i mean EVERYwhere, my mother went with me a cople days ago and picked a few said you could eat them, but i was to worried bout the dry land fish.

SwampDonkey

Fiddle heads and pan fried brook trout floating in good butter. Mmmm :D

The only ones we eat are the Ostrich fern fiddle head they grow in damp places along the brooks and cedar woods.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

strunk57

i googled them, the ones i see being sold look thicker than the ones i see. they are much thinner here is a pic of what the one i find look like,

mesquite buckeye

Them shoombled eggs are gooood. ;D

Bibbyman

This is a nice red or false morrel mushroom a little bigger than a baseball. One of five we've found since Friday. 

Here is how it looked at 6:30 this morning.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Quote from: strunk57 on April 23, 2013, 11:55:26 AM
i googled them, the ones i see being sold look thicker than the ones i see. they are much thinner here is a pic of what the one i find look like,

Those are inedible unless you have another species you can eat. Anything that has fuzz on the head and stem like that you can eliminate from table fare. Ours come up with brown papery scales that rub off when cleaned. And yes they are a beefier fern as they can grow 6 feet tall when they elongate. When they are fully grown they look like a long Ostrich plume.

Thank You Sponsors!