iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf Pine

Started by Magicman, January 06, 2010, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I look forward to see your control burn.  I need to burn some too this season.  Loblolly however, not longleaf, and they are 24 years old.  Amazing to think that I planted them 24 years ago  :)

Whats time to a tree???
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Today was the day......to burn.... candle_smiley fire_smiley

The burn begins

Finishing up with my Son and Grandson

A scorched little Longleaf Pine seedling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clark

Great pictures Magicman!  I've always found the early development of LL to be very interesting.  You are going to get pictures of them when they take off in the next year or two, right?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

Not many good days to burn this year.  It is good that you could get it done.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yesterday folks were burning grass up this way to, but not to release trees. It's the spring fever. ;D The potato fields near here are like dry powder on top, no frost. Still snow around, but going fast.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

MM, getting the family together for something as simple as a controlled burn makes for a pleasant day.  Glad it went well.  It should be a nice green by April 3 ;)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Fishfarmer, your up early on a  Sunday.  ;D Gotta feed them fish I suppose. ;)  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

FF is the next best thing to sleep. ;)    Rain and maybe thunder woke me. Fish eat better in the afternoon and evening.   MM's, thread on burning made me think of some burning I need to do as well.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

On March 20, we burned my little Long Leaf plantation to release my seedlings from the "grass stage".  Well, they all didn't release, but some of them did.  It was a bit late and some areas had started to green up and didn't burn very well.  I'll get them earlier next year.

June 30. 2010.  Some of them are really taking off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I was asking the Director of the Longleaf Alliance about how soon you could burn planted longleaf, and she said, "There is nothing bad about fire to a longleaf pine."

Magicman

This is the same tree that is shown in Reply #33.  This tree has grown a foot in two months.

August 28, 2010.

Buck

wish all mine was longleaf
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

I only have 60-75 Longleaf Pines.  I planted them on my Grandparent's old housesite as a memorial to them.  My main pine plantations are Loblolly.

Smoothing up the housesite and getting ready to plant Longleaf Pines.

WDH

That is a great pic of the longleaf seedling going phototrophic!

Magicman

The picture in the first post on this thread is of the same tree.

Taken January 6, 2010.

chain

It is so dry here,  I believe a fire could start on the river side of the levee and burn all the way to Memphis. I witnessed a fire as such several years ago. I went over to the levee about dusk, the fire was coming through the cottonwoods and willows and nearly every tree had possum vines, as the fire came through it would burn and climb upwards on the vine near the crown before falling back causing sparks and new fires. Also, a full moon came up and the glow and smoke from the fire gave an erie appearance to the red-yellow moon.

caveman

It is good to know folks are planting longleaf pines.  I am popping in on this topic way late.  In Florida, the Division of Forestry reccomends prescribed fire for longleaf in the grass stage.  If you are interested in killing off competing hardwoods, best results are to be had by doing a summer burn. 

The longleaf in the grass stage pictured at the beginning of this thread appeared to have brown spot needle blight (it looks a lot like needle cast of pines that loblolly and slash get), which is a fungus that is known as the most serious disease of longleaf in the grass stage.

The DOF usually reccomends burning longleaf every 3-5 years except when they are most vunerable to fire which is when they emerge from the grass stage until they reach a height of 10 feet to their lowest green branch.

Caveman

Caveman

Magicman

The little tree featured in the original post, reply #33, & reply #35 are of the same tree.

Magicman

I checked my Longleaf Pines yesterday and I see growth in most of the seedlings.

Some look like this.

And some are really showing out.

SwampDonkey

They are springing into action.  ;D :)

semologger

nice. i wanted to post so i can keep up with how things progress

WDH

Candling and busting out of the grass stage!

Magicman

This is today's picture of the Longleaf Pine tree shown in replies 33 & 35.  It is now waist high.

It decided to grow.

WDH

It is growing on a dead fish  :D.

Banjo picker

Nice to see the different stages of growth...Thanks for taking the time to record it for us all....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!