iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf Pine

Started by Magicman, January 06, 2010, 06:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

It certainly is doing well for a small tree.  Must be something in that sand. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I had better remember to put some posts, etc. around it to keep a deer from killing it.   :-\

It looks sandy but this is my Grandparent's housesite.  The dirt is so hard in places that grass won't even grow.  Must be something underneath though.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

wmrussel

Just found this thread.  I've had a couple of failed LL plantings and enjoy following your success.
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Magicman

It's about time for me to take another picture of that one tree and see how much it has grown.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

wmrussel,

The Longleaf Alliance puts on a very good longleaf restoration and management workshop that is well worth the time and expense. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wmrussel

WDH,

Thanks for that info.  I've checked out the LLA webpage and plan on following up.
My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

Magicman

A buck found one of my Longleaf Pines.   :-\

Banjo picker

Is the tree toast or will it overcome it?  You need one of my boys to come over and take care of that vandalizer... :D  Just kidding they can't keep up around here... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Quote from: Banjo picker on December 03, 2011, 09:30:42 PM
Is the tree toast or will it overcome it?

I'll watch it and see what happens.  It was just a matter of when...not if.   :-\

WDH

I think that it will recover given the resilience of youth.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Just found this post and it is looking good.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Clark

Magicman - I don't suppose you have any recent pictures of your little longleaf pine trees? They should be nearing 7 years in the ground now and this Yankee was curious how big they got in that time.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Magicman

I plan to go to the Cabin this week and I will try to remember to take a few pictures.  Actually I think that Jeff took a few when he was there.  I know that there was a deer rubbed tree.  We will see.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Thanks Jeff.  As you can see, the ones that emerged from the "grass/candle stage" first are much taller than some that sat for a couple of years.  The tallest is probably 12'+ tall.  Deer continue to give some of them misery.

Red Good

Deer here tear up the cedars and walk by all the small hardwoods to get to them . I wonder if they do it because of the smell or if there is a balm of sorts in the bark ? Nice documentation on these MM .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Clark

Thank you Jeff and Magicman. It's both satisfying and amazing to see the growth of those trees.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Magicman

This Longleaf Pine is 7 years old and is one of the first to emerge from the "grass stage" the first year.

curdog

Longleaf is one of my favorite trees, and that is pretty impressive growth on that one.

chickenchaser

Magicman,
    I live in an area that - according to my local forester - is not included in the natural range of the longleaf. He is hoping to prove otherwise as it will open the door for assistance to landowners in reforestation. At least that is what I recall was the jist of the conversation from a couple years ago. I am only a county or two from the native area. I'm only a 40 away from a transplanted GA specimen. I can foresee at least a few taking root even closer... ;D

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Magicman

Being outside of someone's line does not define the actual soil composition of your property.  I would take soil samples and label them for Longleaf Pine and see what the results are. 

WildlandFirefighter912

Yes, longleaf love the fire..you burn after the first year of planting until the bottom branch is close to head high.

You send the fire through it quickly so it doesnt put so much heat on it as a slow backing fire would.

Itll look like you killed them but theyll come back awesome. Looks like yours did.

Theyre a slower growing tree vs loblolly and slash; but longleaf brings good pinestraw money and heavier wood. But the best soil for them is sandy and well drained. Slash and loblolly dont like sand hills too good. I would plant them near bottoms instead.

Oh and by the way..be careful replanting in crop land..youll get cankers left and right due to the fertilizer the crop land used. Ive seen several CRP fields cankered up due to this.

Texas Ranger

Sonderegger pine has longleaf structure, but grows more like loblolly.  Here in Texas I have seen some incredible growth on them.  Usually no grass stage.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!