iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing old dead fallen trees

Started by Average_Joe, July 18, 2013, 06:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Average_Joe

This seems like the place for this question, though possibly the chainsaw crowd could answer it as well.  Mods, feel free to move.

What method do you all use to remove older, somewhat rotten, dead fallen trees?  We have quite a bit of large dead-fall on the property, and cutting it up with a chainsaw just ruins chains.

We don't have any large equipment, so reducing the fallen tree to one or two man manageable pieces is required.  Does anyone still make those old two man cross cut saws?  Wondering if that would be preferable.  It seems like one of those would blast through rotten wood.

I realize there is some benefit to some amount of dead-fall in a forest, but too much can cause disease.

Thanks,

WDH

You might consider hiring someone with the right equipment to come in and remove the deadfall and pile it up for you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

What do you consider large?

You can cut them with a chainsaw .If it dulls the chain just refile it .Split out the rot and burn the good .Leave the rot in the woods and  put the good stuff in the wood pile .

Nothing is going to ruin the chain unless it's full of rocks .You have to keep the bar out the dirt though .

Average_Joe

Some might be as large as 36", but the real problem are the stumps and roots.

Looking at some of them tonight I doubt I could get a decent sized loader or skidder back to them. 

Wondering if I could winch some of them down to the road?  Anyone do anything like that? I need an excuse to put a 12K winch on my truck.  LoL

beenthere

What is the urgency to remove the stumps? A need to get this area converted to lawn, or pasture, or ??

QuoteI realize there is some benefit to some amount of dead-fall in a forest, but too much can cause disease.

Not sure if there is a need for concern over disease from dead wood. 

I'd remove what is standing overhead, so no one gets bonked. But other than that, if not needed to get around them then would leave them lay to rot away.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

I would consider a carbide chain for a large chainsaw, you would go a long time without dulling it as long as you stay out of the ground completely. 

Where are you located? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Al_Smith

For what it would cost to get a carbide toothed chain sharpened you could buy several regular chains and a dozen files .That stuff was made for rescue work like going through roofing etc .

Now let me ask a general question here .Is it that big of a deal to file a chain ? ???

mesquite buckeye

I'm with BT on this one. If the trees are already rotting, the chance of disease is minimal. The organisms that rot wood are usually not the pathogenic ones. Any tree debris left in the woods only contributes to soil fertility and reduces soil erosion. I can't imagine any reason to remove dead and down trees other than aesthetics. These logs are a food source for a variety of organisms, contributing to a healthy ecosystem.

Nature is not neat. ;D

It does work, however.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Average_Joe

The leaning stuff needs to come out for safety of course.  We are starting to have a lot more youth get involved in the organization, and a leaning tree surely looks like it needs to be climbed.

Beyond that, we are looking at opening up some of the forest floor for tent camping, and clearing a small area for an air gun range. 

We're in the Fredericksburg, VA area, btw.

Ianab

Dead leaners need to come out for safety reasons, especially if you have a camp ground situation. But they present their own hazards, more than just dulling chains fast. Like they can fall on your head and kill you.

Like Al says. Get a good file and guide, and just touch up your chain often. Even if it's 5 mins cutting, and 5 mins sharpening. Sharpen before it gets dull, and things will go better.

Also check the bar groove and oil holes when cutting rotten wood. It makes fine dust that acts like blotting paper with the bar oil, and plugs up the oil holes in the bar. Then you get all sorts of problems with smoke and worn bar rails as well.

Don't be afraid to stop, take the bar and chain off and clean things out after one tree. Sharpen the chain, should only take a couple of strokes per tooth if you do it regularly, and back into the mission.

Let it run dull, gum things up with that crappy fine sawdust, and then you smoke the bar and chain.  >:(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Average_Joe on July 19, 2013, 05:40:08 AM
The leaning stuff needs to come out for safety of course.  We are starting to have a lot more youth get involved in the organization, and a leaning tree surely looks like it needs to be climbed.

Beyond that, we are looking at opening up some of the forest floor for tent camping, and clearing a small area for an air gun range. 

We're in the Fredericksburg, VA area, btw.

Those would be additional reasons. Still, I would leave anything that isn't actually in the way or a safety hazard. You can shoot across down logs if they aren't huge and limby. Maybe just cut the limbs. For trails, you only need to cut out a section as wide as the trail. Good luck with your project. Maybe you can employ your kids to do some of the lighter limbing with hachets and axes and provide a valuable experience as well. They could also learn leverage moving the bucked logs out of the way, maybe how to use a comealong. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Al_Smith

FWIW I've put a lot of half rotten trees on the ground .No problems with the chain .Really bad wood I just slice and let it lay .Mother nature can work a little faster on it that way .

It's it's got some good left in it I might quarter it and give it away for camp fire wood .I see no sense in burning good hardwood for camp fires .

dboyt

Anything you can use to get those logs off the ground before cutting them will save your saw.  I generally get them to where I can turn them with a cant hook, saw half way through, turn the log, and finish the other half.  A felling wedge is really helpful for freeing up pinched bars.  You can do some amazing pulling with a winch, but a log arch is even better.  Well worth the investment, if you are going to be doing this on an ongoing basis.  Wear boots, chaps & logger's helmet.  I agree with the idea of letting the logs rot, where possible.  You might hire a logger to fell the trees that need to come down.  A dead, leaning tree can be a bad combination.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!