iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl  Axes

Started by Bushwhacker, October 20, 2004, 10:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bushwhacker

I know this is not on the chainsaw topic, but is closely related and I hope it's ok. I was thinking about buying a Stihl PA 40 ax to replace my old splitting maul. Has anyone used or have opinions about them ?  I know they're pretty pricey($54.95)
I appreciate your opinions.
KLH

SasquatchMan

That looks a lot like a Fiskars axe I saw... looked pretty good to me.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

DanManofStihl

I dont think they are worth I have a fisker axe and the maul works much better It has a lifetime warranty but you will never use It or at least I don't.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

tony_marks

FISKAR[STIHL] is a fine tool .. not as good as a 6lb on bigger stuff.. but it has its place.. the axe speed u can create with it is
 really something..

Bushwhacker

Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda concerned about the handle length being so short.  Looks like you'd have to stoop pretty low to split wood.  Now I use a Collins splitting maul . Kenny
KLH

Timber_Framer

I got a a Gransfors small spitting axe from LeeValley and really like the way it's built so I imagine the splitting maul they sell is just as well made. I have another old maul with a 7lb head for going through big stuff but the small axe works great for the kitchen cook stoves smaller wood box.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dean Hylton

This might sound a little funny; but I have gone to a 8 lbs short handled sledge and a wedge. I have had several major abdominal surgeries and it kills me to swing an ax any more. That and there is NO piece of mind when my wife picks an ax up ::) (she tend to try and cut her self every time) Between the sledge and wedge and the froe I have everything covered and FOR ME it's a lot easier and safer. My sledge only has a 20" handle.

Timber_Framer

You know when I was out in the oil patch we cut almost all of our sledges off at about 24" even the 16s. They were far more accurate and easier to use.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

jokers

How well the Fiskars axes work depends heavily on the diameter and species of the wood. Diameters under 10" in wood that is not too stringy or knotty splits easily with the Fiskars splitting axe(2 1/4# head). It is so much easier than swinging a heavier maul on this small stuff that anyone will be more productive. The splitting axe is also quite nice for packing to drive felling wedges. It`s all about head speed so swing it fast, but it`s easy.

I recently finally found and purchased a Fiskars splitting maul, which has a much heavier head, about 4#, and it splits the big wood pretty easily so far. The short handle does not present the problem that I thought it would, except that you need a splitting block or something to place the wood to be split upon.

I don`t think that Stihl offers the splitting maul, just the lighter splitting axe in the Fiskars style tools.

Russ

Bushwhacker

I believe that's right Jokers. A maul is not in stihl's product book and I didn't see one at the dealers just the splitting axe and felling axe.Stihl's splitting axe looks like the Fiskars Power Axe to me.
KLH

Thank You Sponsors!