iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

056 Stihl worth fixing?

Started by TJACK, April 22, 2002, 09:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJACK

I have the chance to get a Stihl 056 magnum for just about nothing, although the saw is said to need an ignition.  I need more information about this saw to see if it is worth the cost of an ignition.  How much horse power would this saw have?  I was told this saw was like the 066 in the early 80's. The saw looks used but doesn't seem to be abused and has been sitting for a few years.  I realize if the ignition is replaced the saw may have a bigger problem.  Any advise would be appreciated.

TJACK  

sawman

O56 has been iscontinued for sometime. I think it shares some parts with the TS510 cut off, so parts shouldn't be problematic.
If saw has been in a no moisture area, should be ok as internal rusting would be a problem. Remove spark plug b&c, clutch cover. Look at clutch area for rust, then slowly-carefully turn clutch/crankshaft with fingers. Feeling for a smooth, non gritty/scratchy rotation.
When piston gets near the top/bottom of stroke(check spark plug hole) you  will feel a little bump/resistance. That is normal. Compression test would also be good to do then.
Can also remove the flywheel cover looking for rust on the magnets. They are usually clear sealed but it does wear thin of off.
Carb will most probably have to be rebuilt, and fuel line/filter replaced as they will have deteroiated.
If that's all and you spend less  $150-$200 with the saw for 'nothing', (b&c ok) that's a fair deal.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Kevin

Word on the street is 6.8 HP.

Sawyerfortyish

Sawman
I always thought the 056 was a saw by itself  very few if any parts from other models would fit. Iv`e heard that it was made with the professional logger in mind and wasn`t sold to your local happy homeowner. I seen a few for sale at the N.Y. state woodsmans feild days. Would`nt mind owning one myself but the ones I seen were beat to death. Besides I need a saw that the parts are on the shelf.

Frank_Pender

I had a 56 for a few years, then the 44's showed on the scene.  8) I changed real quick.  I gave the 56 to one of my students to use in the woods.  He was 6' 6" and 225lbs. ;)  He could handle the extra weight of the saw.  I have since bought an 066, what a hummer of a saw.  :) I did a four foot oak this late afternoon and wow!  It ate the wood like it was candy. 8)  I am now looking seriously at the new 440.  8) I will keep the saws I have and add a 5th big saw, with a 3' bar.  
Frank Pender

Sawyerfortyish

Frank
 we`ve had bad luck with the o44. Bought one run it a couple months and the crank bearings went Sthil rebilt it run it a little more same thing again . Were using 2-036 -2-038 -and 2-066 saws  with no problems. Talking to another local logger he had the same experience with the 44. I just bought a 460 it`s not broke in yet but runs good but seem to stall once in a while after you finish a cut.

Frank_Pender

Gee, Sawyer40, I am sorry to hear that you have had that kind of problems with the 044.  I have had mine to 3 and 4 years and never such issues have occured.   It must have been the luck of the draw.  :'(
Frank Pender

Kevin

Sawyer40,
What does your 460 tach at idle, any idea?
Sounds like a quick tweak is in order.

sawman

Had some looks at some "new" Stihls. Not doubt cheaper made.
They came out with new model #'s. Added MS to the front, and a '0' to the end. Salesman said same saw but updated model #'s.
He's either ignorant of his line, or a fibber.
Stihl starting to make crankcases, saw bodies like cheap Homelites, MacCullochs. Just look on the bottom of saw, and see where four bolts or screws hold the cylinder & crankcase onto the body/tank.
Crankcase is not a two piece vertical split, but horizontal, and some are three pieces.
Main bearings are coated, and clamped into place, not fitted like large pro saws.
Stihl was famous for their cut off saws. New TS460 same.
Saw the Husqvarna service video for the new mid range 40-59 cc saws. Even the pro models are being built cheaper the same way.
Husqvarna now in Lowes & Sears!
Keep hearing that big stores will be doing 80% of the future sales, and dealers will be just repairing.
Wonder when they'll be built in Communist China.  >:(
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Sawyerfortyish

Frank
 Don`t know what it idles at my brother has been running it to kill the trees I been runing the skidder. But a good tweeking will be soon

Jim Spencer

:-/
I believe that if you buy an ignition you will need a new model flywheel for the 056.  That will add approx. $150.  Be sure and check on that.  I read on the chainsaw forum that someone rebuilt an 056 and ended up with about $1300 into it and he still had to buy the special flywheel because the people who sold him the ignition did not tell him about needing it to be compatible with the ignition.
Jim :-/

Thank You Sponsors!