iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Self loading log trailer for off road use

Started by labradorguy, January 19, 2019, 08:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Who is making a solid log trailer for off road use?? I've been looking pretty hard for a used one but they seem to be dang hard to find. Might just be my searching skills. Everything I see is for big trucks on the highway or Chinese junk that will last a week before I have to start welding on the frame. Looking for one with a good loader on it and pretty decent sized. I'd be pulling it behind a 90hp 4wd tractor and want to run the loader off the tractor remotes. I saw a Metavic that was set up really cool with wide tires and terrain adapting suspension. Don't want to drop 30+K on it though.... ugh. Thanks gents.

chevytaHOE5674

One for sale locally on upper peninsula of Michigan Craigslist but it maybe a tad large for a 90hp tractor. Has a big hood loader and holds 4cord of wood.

John Mc

Quote from: labradorguy on January 19, 2019, 08:35:13 PM
Who is making a solid log trailer for off road use?? I've been looking pretty hard for a used one but they seem to be dang hard to find. Might just be my searching skills. Everything I see is for big trucks on the highway or Chinese junk that will last a week before I have to start welding on the frame. Looking for one with a good loader on it and pretty decent sized. I'd be pulling it behind a 90hp 4wd tractor and want to run the loader off the tractor remotes. I saw a Metavic that was set up really cool with wide tires and terrain adapting suspension. Don't want to drop 30+K on it though.... ugh. Thanks gents.
There are a several manufacturers of forwarding trailers like the Metavic. None of them are cheap.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Riwaka

The Farma T6 without a crane (add crane later) is probably one of the lower cost 'purpose built in woods trailers. Though transport costs from Estonia to Canada etc would add to the purchase cost.

Most sold forestry trailer in Europe | FARMA
Dealers | FARMA BIGAB

Could look through regional trailer manufacturers (with a custom build capacity) for a dump or equipment trailer that could be adapted to a custom build to off road standard and add bolsters, small crane depending on log size.
Trailerman Trailers | High Quality Equipment Trailers
Masterdump Trailer Series | Doolittle Trailers

lower chassis on the smaller trailers in these ranges and add own bolsters etc.
1-5 Ton Dumpers |
Berkelmans Welding Hydraulic Farm Dump Trailers and Manure Haulers

Add track claws/ track grips or ice grips etc to the 311 to load with
Montana Track Claws | Traction for your Heavy Machinery
trackgrips etc

excavator with claw thumb (find a claw off a burnt machine in a wreckers etc)

excavator loading logs
Volvo EC140 Excavator Loading Log Trailer - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

I have been drooling over the Farma trailers for a while now, but it will never happen because I just don't generate enough work to pay for it. Farma is a FF sponsor and they have a topic section in the main page.  When I did my original research I could not find any dealers in the US, the closest to you is in Montreal, Canada. However I see they they show equipment at US based shows. I would suggest going over to the Farma topic and sending a note to @chubby to inquire but sources for new or used in the USA. Very rarely do I see one used on craigslist, they make good stuff and it doesn't seem to change hands often. They have a lot of videos on you tube and they make them in many small to medium size and larger. I just wish they had a bigger US presence. Probably something to do with trade duties or politics or other nonsense. Check them out.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John Mc

Woody is another manufacturer of forwarding trailers in a variety of sizes. Made in Canada.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Gov surplus tandem military trailers are a good cheap and standardized base to start off a forwarder trailer build.  They use walking beam suspension, standard big truck lug patterns (6 lug budd or 10 lug hub pilot) and have parking brakes, usually juice surge couplers with high misalignment pintles.  Tires are very cheap and very high load rating.  And theyre a suspended walking beam [sorta like hendrickson] thats road rated too. Not a rigid walking beam.

You can find em for $1500 and fab up some i beam bolsters, then build a simple crane.
Praise The Lord

labradorguy

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 19, 2019, 09:03:27 PM
One for sale locally on upper peninsula of Michigan Craigslist but it maybe a tad large for a 90hp tractor. Has a big hood loader and holds 4cord of wood.
I'll look for it. Thanks!

labradorguy

Quote from: Riwaka on January 20, 2019, 01:53:49 AM
The Farma T6 without a crane (add crane later) is probably one of the lower cost 'purpose built in woods trailers. Though transport costs from Estonia to Canada etc would add to the purchase cost.

Most sold forestry trailer in Europe | FARMA
Dealers | FARMA BIGAB

Could look through regional trailer manufacturers (with a custom build capacity) for a dump or equipment trailer that could be adapted to a custom build to off road standard and add bolsters, small crane depending on log size.
Trailerman Trailers | High Quality Equipment Trailers
Masterdump Trailer Series | Doolittle Trailers

lower chassis on the smaller trailers in these ranges and add own bolsters etc.
1-5 Ton Dumpers |
Berkelmans Welding Hydraulic Farm Dump Trailers and Manure Haulers

Add track claws/ track grips or ice grips etc to the 311 to load with
Montana Track Claws | Traction for your Heavy Machinery
trackgrips etc

excavator with claw thumb (find a claw off a burnt machine in a wreckers etc)

excavator loading logs
Volvo EC140 Excavator Loading Log Trailer - YouTube
You read my mind. Might be the best way to go if I can't find a new one.

labradorguy

Looked for it. No luck. I think my searching skills are not so good.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: labradorguy on January 20, 2019, 10:50:14 AM
I'll send you a PM with the link.

John Mc

Quote from: labradorguy on January 20, 2019, 10:50:14 AM
Something that may help in your search: Use SearchTempest. You put in your location, and a radius in which to search, and it will search all of the Craig's List listings in that area.
You'll still need to come up woth some good search terms, but I had luck in the past with "forwarding trailer" or "log trailer" or "logging trailer"

labradorguy

Riwaka

timberframe

Quote from: labradorguy on January 19, 2019, 08:35:13 PM
Hey Labrador guy, I have a couple of videos on my channel about my Anderson trailer with power pack and winch if you're interested.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Dovetail Timberworks - YouTube
B

chubby

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 20, 2019, 06:12:53 AM
I just wish they had a bigger US presence. Probably something to do with trade duties or politics or other nonsense. Check them out.
Over half of the sales in North America are to the US. The reason we do so well in Quebec is simply because the idea of smaller scaled forestry management is a much more mature market there. Almost everyone in Quebec with a wood lot has some sort of tractor-powered forestry equipment, an idea that is gaining popularity in the US, especially in the North East, which places us very well to serve this market from Quebec.
As for duties, all forestry equipment is duty free between Canada and the US, even European made products, so shipping from Canada actually has its advantages. Today, we can ship parts by next day air to almost anywhere in North America, and most basic hydraulic shops can handle the repairs that may be required over the life of the unit. Distance has really become less of an issue than it ever was in the past. The world really is getting smaller 😁

Thank You Sponsors!